Can you recommend a Local Home Brew Shop south of Boston?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmith1279

Gridiron Beerworks
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Folks, I'm heading up to Boston to help a buddy build his tiered system. Its been a while since I was up there. Can any of you recommend a LHBS in the south shore area, or is there a really kick a$$ one in the Boston area that would be worth the drive?

I live on the South shore and there are none near me.
I think there's on in Foxboro and a couple in Boston. Don't remember the names but I think Harvard Square has one.

There are two I go to on occasion, though neither would I really recommend. I buy 99% online now.

The place in Woburn is staffed by people apparently far too busy/important to help a customer looking to spend money. I won't go back there again.

Cambridge is OK, and the better of the two, though the staff can be a bit sketchy. It is Cambridge, so I guess that comes with the territory. :D They do have a decent selection and all grains can be bought in the exact quantities needed. I've called to ask about specific items and been told "Yep we have it." Upon arrival it is a different story. :rolleyes:

If you are truly on the South Shore area these aren't too far but are on the South Coast and the Cape:

Pioppi's in Plymouth and Tamarack in Lakeville. Those are both package stores with supplies too.

Cape Cod Beer over the bridge in Barnstable also sells supplies. (Grab some awesome brew while there!)

Also you can knock on the door at the Crosby and Baker in Westport.

None of the above will save you much money, the prices are a bit higher than mail order.

If you are truly on the South Shore area these aren't too far but are on the South Coast and the Cape:

Pioppi's in Plymouth and Tamarack in Lakeville. Those are both package stores with supplies too.

Cape Cod Beer over the bridge in Barnstable also sells supplies. (Grab some awesome brew while there!)

Also you can knock on the door at the Crosby and Baker in Westport.

None of the above will save you much money, the prices are a bit higher than mail order.

I went to Pioppi's a couple months ago for bottles. They quoted me 10 bucks a case . Picked up 2 cases and didn't notice till after I got home that they charged me 13.95 a case. I called and was told 13.95 was the right price. no biggie , but while there I checked out the brewing supplies.
Every thing they had could fit in a shopping bad and looked like it had been there for a long time.
The yeast wasn't refrigerated and was about 6 months out of date.

They did have a good selection of craft brew in stock , so it's still worth the 15 minute trip for me when I need bottles but would not recommend any of their actual brewing supplies.

I would definitely recommend Blackstone Valley Brewing Supplies. Steve the owner is the nicest guy and extremely knowledgable. Good selection of supplies and very fair prices. The hours are a little limited - closed weekends during the summer - but open evenings.

BVBS is not closed weekends during the Summer only Sundays.

June-August:
Wed/Thr/Fri 3PM-7PM
Sat 10AM-5PM

Sept-May
Wed/Thr/Fri 3PM-5pm
Sat 10AM-5PM
Sun 10AM-2PM

Back