Twist Top Capped Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends who you ask. I try to only use non-twist-offs. Some people have reported a loss of carbonation due to a bad seal. I actually just used one because I didn't notice it and went ahead and sanitized it. Then it was sitting there ready to go, so I used it. Call it a personal experiment if you will.

Bottom line, they can be used, it's a personal choice.

The red hand-capper that comes with most kits will not grip the sides of a twist-off bottle sufficiently to re-cap. At least mine won't, as I inadvertently got a twist-off from a buddy mixed into my homebrew bottles.

They may or may not seal properly. It's not worth risking a batch of beer when lipped bottles are so readily available. Try your local beverage store. Most I've talked to will sell them to you for the price of deposit. It helps to buy something from them before asking.

Tom

I think the glass at the top of twist-offs is thinner than on pry-off bottles, so you have to be pretty careful to avoid breaking them. We've got 2 different wing cappers and have used them both with twist-offs 'cause I haven't managed to accumulate enough good bottles yet. The newer capper (my buddy's) usually breaks a couple of twist-off bottles per batch. The older wing capper (yard sale special) breaks fewer bottles, but when one breaks it's very difficult to remove the cap and broken glass from the capper - literally 10 minutes of chipping away at the glass until I can get a grip on the edge of the cap with some pliers. My buddy has reported a couple of bottles that didn't seal well (twist-offs done with the newer capper) but I've yet to come across one.

I'd say they're fine to use in a pinch (be careful capping) but pry-offs are definitely preferable.

I have a bench capper and have done a couple of experiments with the twist offs

seems like they sealed ok - but with as much work as I put into my brew I would hate to lose some just because I used the twist offs and not the pry tops

They may or may not seal properly. It's not worth risking a batch of beer when lipped bottles are so readily available. Try your local beverage store. Most I've talked to will sell them to you for the price of deposit. It helps to buy something from them before asking.

I've gotten whole cases of Sam Adams empties from a local liquor store. Most of the staff at these places seem to be interested in my homebrewing, so I usually have a fun conversation in the bargain.

I've gotten whole cases of Sam Adams empties from a local liquor store. Most of the staff at these places seem to be interested in my homebrewing, so I usually have a fun conversation in the bargain.

I am a bartender on the weekends. So, I do have access to some bottles, mostly twist offs. Now if I could only get people to improve their taste in beer........

I am going to make it my mission to push some sam adams this weekend.:mug:

On a side note: I noticed red stripe in a 24oz bottle the other day at the beer store. It would be nice to have a bunch of those.

100% of the twist off bottles that I have bottled beer in have held pressure and produced carbonated beer.

All one of them. :D

Given what other people have said, it may or may not work for you, but it's better to err on the safe side and go with the pop tops.

Back