How do I add Liquid Maltose to BeerSmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I've bought a carton of Liquid Maltose from ebay after reading about it in Ray Daniel's Designing Great Beers. But how should I input it in BeerSmith? Thanks for your help:

Maltose_syrup.jpg
Malt_Sugar_Maltose_Syrup.jpg
How-to-make-Peking-duck-5-005.jpg

Let me add I'm also trying to figure out the SRM as an addition... 7?

I expect you can reference any light unhopped LME entry from the Ingredients - Grains library to build your own liquid malt extract entry.
Figure 36 to 38 gravity points per gallon per pound with somewhere in the high-70s to 80% yield and you won't be far off wrt gravity and ABV calculations.

As for color, that's going to be all on you. If you think your LME would be towards the blonde end, use a low number for the SRM entry (like, 2 or 3) and go up from there...

Cheers!

I expect you can reference any light unhopped LME entry from the Ingredients - Grains library to build your own liquid malt extract entry.

Figure 36 to 38 gravity points per gallon per pound with somewhere in the high-70s to 80% yield and you won't be far off wrt gravity and ABV calculations.

As for color, that's going to be all on you. If you think your LME would be towards the blonde end, use a low number for the SRM entry (like, 2 or 3) and go up from there...

Cheers!

I'm leaning toward input as a sugar as unlike LME, Maltose is 100% fermentable...

SRM is about 7? *shrug*. I need a better chart...

If it is 100% maltose you should just put it in as a sugar. There should be a box to enter the °L value.

Treat it like Belgian Candi Sugar in recipe formulation.

Entering it as LME will have the software assume that some unfermentable long chain sugars that make up a percentage of the weight.

What benefit do you expect to gain from using liquid maltose in your beer? I live in Wuhan, China, and my wife's aunt runs a shop selling spices, sauces, and cooking ingredients. One of the things she stocks is liquid maltose. I always stare at all of the interesting stuff there wondering what I could successfully use in a beer, and the last time I was there I noticed the liquid maltose and thought of all of the spices that would probably contribute to a terrible spiced beer in my novice mitts, the liquid maltose was probably the most promising ingredient she carries. So, what does liquid maltose do in a brew. My guess would be drying out a beer/upping the ABV without cutting the malt presence, but I'm just grasping there.

What benefit do you expect to gain from using liquid maltose in your beer? I live in Wuhan, China, and my wife's aunt runs a shop selling spices, sauces, and cooking ingredients. One of the things she stocks is liquid maltose. I always stare at all of the interesting stuff there wondering what I could successfully use in a beer, and the last time I was there I noticed the liquid maltose and thought of all of the spices that would probably contribute to a terrible spiced beer in my novice mitts, the liquid maltose was probably the most promising ingredient she carries. So, what does liquid maltose do in a brew. My guess would be drying out a beer/upping the ABV without cutting the malt presence, but I'm just grasping there.

You're right, to dry out a beer. I'm brewing an ESB and in the traditional style, Maltose is used where we would use sugar. The idea would be to keep the same target OG in the recipe, but cut back on your grain and replace the removed grain with maltose to reach back toward that OG. You'll get dryer beer without the cider affect of sugar ;). Enjoy!

Back