Growing Hops In Florida Tampa Area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Demus said:
So what's the down side to Florida if they grow well? Yield? Pest infestation? I haven't seen too many hop fields down here; must be a reason!

I would assume they grow better in their preferred climate. Which would result in bigger and higher quality yields. Bugs can be a problem down here. I had one encounter with mites but the Organicide took care of everything once I started using it.

It has a lot to do with location. The prime growing area is both north and south 48* latitude. Something about the long days and the season that causes the plant to bud, flower, dye off and start again. Think Sam Adams latitude 48. That's how it got its name.

While they will grow here, its not the best conditions.

My cascades are starting to sprout already. The harvest wasn't all that great last year (first year) hoping for better this year.

10:00 in Spring Hill and its 40 with threat if hard freeze. HOPS all snuggled in to their bed. Magnum off to a good start. 8 shoots growing and will keep the best 4. Fuggles off to a slower start. Plenty of growing season

ForumRunner_20130201_215711.jpg

Wow that's crazy, I'm just 20 mins south of you and it's still 50s around here. That's a crazy temp difference for such a small distance.

Ddubduder said:
Wow that's crazy, I'm just 20 mins south of you and it's still 50s around here. That's a crazy temp difference for such a small distance.

Which city or area has a higher population? The difference between temperature in the city verse the outskirts can be pretty big. A buddy of mine did it as an experiment for school once.

KeyWestBrewing said:
Which city or area has a higher population? The difference between temperature in the city verse the outskirts can be pretty big. A buddy of mine did it as an experiment for school once.

I think Spring Hill and Land O Lakes are probably pretty similar. I would consider both to be outskirts. I'm about 30mi outside of Tampa and Spring Hill is a little further, maybe 15-20 miles further north.

I'm in the brandon area and I have columbus and tea maker growing in the front yard. Put some sheets over them the other night and they are doing fine.

Ddubduder said:
Luckily mine are in 20g pots so I just brought them inside so no damage here.

Good to hear...That's the nice part about having em in pots. You can move em if need be. At least for now, once they start stretching they find a permanent home.

This is probably the last week I'll be able to move them. The Galena is already at the top of the tomato cage I have it in, it's going to need a trellis or twine ASAP. Fingers crossed this is the last cold snap.

Trimmed back magnum to only 3 strong bines. Fuggles is still taking its sweet @ss time. I noticed that magnum was sending off rhizomes, so I cut them back where I could see them.....buy the way I have no idea what I'm dong. Lol!

Like the root system was sending out rhizomes? If so I figure you may wanna leave those alone or clip em and keep letting em grow. It would be a good question for a more experienced grower though. I definitely don't have a clue.

As of yesterday, magnum still growing strong. One main bine, done know what the other 3 are doing. Fuggles continues to be the runt, but she's pushing.

This morning, its friggin cold!

BrokenArmBrewing said:
As of yesterday, magnum still growing strong. One main bine, done know what the other 3 are doing. Fuggles continues to be the runt, but she's pushing.

This morning, its friggin cold!

Glad to hear all is well. I know when it gets in the 50's down here its gotta be cold up there.

I've just read through the posts about growing hops in Florida, a friend gave some Wilamette and Goldings and I will be planting tonight. You guys seem to be successful with this. I am in Cape Coral, right in between the two of you on the west coast. One quick question, is the spacing of 5' necessary between different hops?

Daddio said:
I've just read through the posts about growing hops in Florida, a friend gave some Wilamette and Goldings and I will be planting tonight. You guys seem to be successful with this. I am in Cape Coral, right in between the two of you on the west coast. One quick question, is the spacing of 5' necessary between different hops?

I have mine in pots so I can't speak from experience however from everything I've read I'm not sure i would go much closer. The root system of these things gets huge, they love to spread. I planted 3 crowns in January each in a 20 gallon pot and all three have already reached the edges. If they intermingle its not the end of the world, you just might end up with a bine from a plant and not be able to tell if it's one type of the other.

Daddio said:

I would definitely space them out as much as possible. As mentioned the root systems grow like crazy. The more space for the roots to stretch without fighting for space the happier the plants will be.

Mine are 8ft apart and towards July I have to trim/train them away. From each other, and that is on a 12ft trellis

I'm excited to hear that hops does grow in Florida. I'm in Pinellas and we only get about 1 hard freeze a year. Last year we didn't get anything that killed our banana tree.

I want to grow hops here at home. Is there a time of year that is preferred? Or can I just get a few plants and it will be okay? And where do you get your plants from?

(I read a previous post in this thread that the C hops are best, so I'm not going to ask that... but is there a preference? I'm not the best gardener, but we can keep our vegetable garden alive for most of the year.)

Back