Oops! Forgot some malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And_Vega

Reaction score
We made a brown ale (with some spice) based on a recipe with 6.6 LB cooper malt extract, 14 oz malts, and forgot to put in a pound of dry malt extract.
We realized this on day 3. We have a good krausen, and the airlock is nicely bubbling.
Does that pound of dry malt hold the future of the beer? Can I still add it?
Thank you so much.

Not adding the DME means that your beer had a lower gravity than intended.

With just the 6.6# LME, the OG would have been around 1.055.
With the extra 1# if DME, the OG would have been around 1.064.

So, your beer is lighter version of the original recipe. 1.055 is still a pretty good strength beer (most of the beers I make are in the 1.050 to 1.055 range), so it's not like you made some watery pee-pee or anything. It's just not going to tank you as fast. :D

You *could* still add it (boil it up in some water first), but it will definitely kick up a harder ferment if you do.

I personally wouldn't bother adding it and would just let it ride. But, if you DO add it, I'd have a blow-off tube rigged up just in case.

Walker's right...that's because those brewers in Cary, NC know how to get it done ;)

Back