Dregs... yet another question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipapat

Reaction score
So im my epic lP lambic project i have read about using dregs from comercial bottles of lambic and or sour beer to add to the biodiversity of bug in my brew.

Other than Russian river what beers should i looks for too add the dregs from?
I live in a state that has little lambic or sour beers that are sold, so ill be looking out of state for them.

Cheers.
:mug:

ill second the JP recommendation, although I would suggest Calabaza blanca over la roja

several of the bottles of la roja Ive tried have been overly phenolic and not sour enough, although its a good idea to not use dregs unless you like the beer they cam from

others that work well are

Cuvee rene from lindemans
Anything from fantome
hansens
drie fonteinen
Girardin - i really like them

I got La Roja to use the dregs but did not like the beer at all so ditched the bottle. If you're going lambic, Cantillon is great, pretty sure they don't filter. I've used Rodenbach for my Flanders Red ales.

Rodenbach is pasteurized, so it didnt add much to your beer :drunk:

Yah I saw posts on the forums saying that but never saw anything "official." As far as I can remember the bottles didn't say pasteurized, so I figured I'd try it. Could be placebo but at 5 months I definitely taste something as well as a pellicle and bubbling in the airlock for several months that started a couple weeks after I pitched the dregs of a 6 pack.

St Louis lambics are also good for dregs. And La Folie from NB. And a little Wild Devil for some Brett. And some Orval for some more Brett (but that might be the same Brett as Wild Devil). Avery had a special beer out that was fermented with Brett but that's a few years old now. Ooo, and...

I've got a little "wild bug jar" that I pour dregs into.

Yah I saw posts on the forums saying that but never saw anything "official." As far as I can remember the bottles didn't say pasteurized, so I figured I'd try it.

Both Classic and Grand cru are centrifuged, and there arent any dregs in the bottom of their bottles, if you look on a bottle of the grand cru youll notice that its a 2/3 to 1/3 mix old to young, which would mean bottle bombs if they didnt centrifuge out the yeast/brett/etc

occasionally they release a bottle of unfiltered beer ie vin de cereale but only vary rarely

it really is a shame that you cant get dregs from many flanders red beers, even la folie doesnt contain anything anymore :(

Latest posts

Back