Bass label - "malted hops"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
Am I wrong or did they just make up a new term?

"This fine imported pale ale has been brewed in the great British tradition using the finest two-row barley and malted hops"

Is there some way to malt hops that I'm not aware of?

Am I wrong or did they just make up a new term?

"This fine imported pale ale has been brewed in the great British tradition using the finest two-row barely and malted hops"

Is there some way to malt hops that I'm not aware of?

weird. maybe just a misprint.

"This fine imported pale ale has been brewed in the great British tradition using the finest malted two-row barely and hops"

Pic of the label? Doesn't sound right.

Picture.jpg

Interesting. Should let em know about it, maybe you can get some free stuff too!

response from the source:

Tyler,

Many thanks for getting in touch with the Bass Ale team! I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about the label issue – Loyal fans like you keep us on track to be the best beer company in a better world! I raise my glass to you.

You’re right about the label issue, and we’ve recently been made aware of it. We’re in the process of correcting it. I’d like to thank you for bringing this to our attention and also to tip my cap to you for your continued Bass loyalty!

Tyler, feel free to get in touch anytime about the beer or anything we do.

Cheers,

Tony

Your Friend at Bass Beer

1-888-287-2400

Bassbeer.com

Dear Bass,

Thanks for responding with such a polite and appreciative email. Now....GIVE ME SOME FREE STUFF!!

Sincerely,
Your loyal but broke Bass customer

;)

Someone didn't read the copy on the proofs well enough!!!

Being in the printing industry, I see this stuff happen all the time. Usually it doesn't make it to the shelf, but it can happen. The film studio had a directors name spelled wrong on one of the movie cartons we printed recently.

I'm willing to bet "malted hops" got put on there accidently, nobody caught it, and it got printed. The printing company's salesperson did as any good salesperson would do and somehow convinced Bass to buy the labels anyways in return for a free or reduced cost reprint. Bass will use those labels until they run out.

He was expecting:

Tyler;

Many thanks for getting in touch with the Bass Ale team! I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about the label issue – Loyal fans like you keep us on track to be the best beer company in a better world! I raise my glass to you.

You’re right about the label issue, and we’ve recently been made aware of it. We’re in the process of correcting it. I’d like to thank you for bringing this to our attention and also to tip my cap to you for your continued Bass loyalty!

For bringing this to our attention we are sending you a free, full keg of Bass Ale!!

Your UPS tracking number is...................

He got a "Thank You", though. I guess that is something.

Well three years later the label is unchanged... I grabbed a Bass at Carrabbas last night while I was picking up takeout for my sick wife.

I saw the malted hops on the label and figured it was some term I was unfamilar with. The Google brought me here to my favorite site and this thread.

Well three years later the label is unchanged... I grabbed a Bass at Carrabbas last night while I was picking up takeout for my sick wife.

I saw the malted hops on the label and figured it was some term I was unfamilar with. The Google brought me here to my favorite site and this thread.

As part of ABInBev they probably have to use every last misprint before moving on to the corrected label. Every fraction of a penny counts.

You should get a hold of:

"Tony

Your Friend at Bass Beer

1-888-287-2400"

And let him know it's been three years and the labels still haven't been corrected. Heck, I would even point him in the direction of this thread!

They made a similar mistake on the descriptions for their Budweiser Project 12 beers, linked below. If you read the description for the Batch no. 91406, you'll see that "this lager is brewed with four different types of hops to achieve its vibrant clarity and deep amber hue".

I believe they corrected it in later printings, but it could be more evidence that someone at InBev truly believes that hops are the primary source of fermentables and color in their products...

http://guyism.com/lifestyle/alcohol/meet-the-three-winners-of-budweiser-project-12.html

Dear Tony,

Thank you for your prompt and candid reply, it did ease my fears some. I am however having some misgivings about using your product further because I am not sure what else your QC division may have missed. How am I to be reassured that you have not changed the hop type or hop schedule in some way. I mean it tastes right but how can I be sure?

My solution to this issue is one I think you will agree is in both our best interests, please find it in your heart to ease my troubled mind by sending 2 cases each from 12 random batches for testing so that I may update my blog to reflect the uncompromised consistency of your product. I have 73 people who are watching closely so this will benefit you greatly as you can see.

With much anticipation,
Your friend
Tyler

I just googled "Malted Hops" and all the info on it are just similar threads in other forums asking the same thing. Though there was something about malted hops and bong resin....

http://www.hark.com/clips/cvbzqdxzml-the-rest-is-clogged-with-malted-hops-and-bong-resin

lmao

As part of ABInBev they probably have to use every last misprint before moving on to the corrected label. Every fraction of a penny counts.

They spill and throw out more beer than most breweries make. I doubt they are going to care about penny pinching on misprint labels.

Back