So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5.5g Irish Red - yesterday - Wyeast 1056
first time using my tap h2o and new barley crusher:rockin:

5.5g Ed's Wort's Haus Pale Ale - today - S-05
bottled water (afraid to use my Chicago supplied water for a pale)

I use the water for pale ales with no problem (west chicago burbs). I just leave it sit out overnight for the chlorine to off gas.

I did do that for the red. I was concerned that the bicarbonate level would be a problem - but maybe i will try it next pale.

Did a batch of altbier. Tried out my new immersion chiller and electric HLT. Put a 5500 watt element in a 24 quart Bayou Classic pot. Ran it off my 7500 watt generator! Full pot boils in less than 20 minutes.

Test run of the new system today...5 gallons of Lake Walk Pale Ale. Gonna eat breakfast and then go set up and start strike water by 11.

Pots coming up to temp for 15 gal of Oud Bruin. SWMBO gone until tomorrow night. Two sons just got shipped off to a bday party for a couple of hours and I just cracked a Bell's Two Hearted...

not a bad start

Getting off around five tonight, by six will be at the house. Eat, move twenty gallons to clear primaries....Sparge! Plan on ten gallons of something. Leaning towards Wheat (basic) and then put fruit in the secondaries later. I have those ingredients. Still looking for something different, that I have ingredients already at the house.

Bottled 5 gallons of Oatmeal Stout this morning. Tried adding 2oz of cold brewed coffee to the second half of the batch and the filter broke on me so I'm not sure how much coffee grounds got into the bottles. We'll see in a few weeks I suppose. Honestly, it was a rough morning. Decided to test my luck and am heating water now for a Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale. Looking forward to trying to some Citra hops!

Got the boil going on another batch of BigKahuna's Reindeer Fuel Stout.. This time using Greenwell's Kona Peaberry Coffee... 5 minutes until the hops start...

Even though I have one nasty cold, I decided to brew anyways :rockin:.
I am about 45mins in the 90min boil of Evil Twin (Alesmith's Evil Dead Red Clone). Got to use my new Barley Crusher and got 90%eff into boiler! This is going to be a bigger beer that I planned. :mug:

Got an 11 gallon batch of Orfy's Mild boiling away, mashing on Kaiser's Alt at the same time. We are moving to a new house so I had to accelerate my calendar a bit...

Bailed on the cream ale, 5 gallons is easier and quicker to brew so I just did the American Lager.

Chilled to 50* in 30 minutes with ground water.

*Kettle thermometer read 50, ranco in fermentation freezer never read higher than 47.

Even though I have one nasty cold, I decided to brew anyways :rockin:.
I am about 45mins in the 90min boil of Evil Twin (Alesmith's Evil Dead Red Clone). Got to use my new Barley Crusher and got 90%eff into boiler! This is going to be a bigger beer that I planned. :mug:

I've got a cold too, yuck. I brewed up a Pilsner on friday, but since my seasonal temp range is about 58F, I used some 3rd generation german ale yeast, which seems to work well at this temp.

Friday night on the right, late last night on the left:
Pics were taken this morning, about 9 hours for the pale ale and 36 hours for the irish stout. Sorry for the crappy camera phone shots, it what I had at the time.
stoutandpaleale.jpg

And today's:
(now in the ale pale which isn't much to look at)
brewing2-28-10-2.jpg

This is my second, third, and fourth batches, and each one seemed to go smoother and quicker than the prior. Maybe time for me to try AG. :mug:

Wow, 6 hours? I didn't realize AG took that much longer. The extract kits have been taking me about 3 hours from water in the pot to putting in the airlock. Mostly waiting to boil.

quite a bit OT but here is the time breakdown for me approx. A lot of the slowness is because I don't have more burners/vessels. I do this inside in what is basically an apartment kitchen.

30m-get equipment, grind grain
30m-Heat mash water
60m-mash
30m-drain mash/heat sparge water
20m-sparge/drain mash
60m-wait for boil
60m-boil
30m-chill/pitch
30m-cleanup

was going to go with an AG Hefe on Friday but the snow kept my brew buddy from coming over to help so I decided to go with an Amber Ale this afternoon since I was just puttering around the house with not much else to do...

I love when the entire house starts to smell like a brewery

Brewed a British IPA today started of with SWMBO breaking my hydrometer dropping it on the floor getting her crap off the table, then mash was too high 159 added cold water dropped it to 146 added hot water back up to 155 mashed for 45 min checked temp was down to 141 ( left the lid off the pot a little ) added more hot water checked with Iodine all was well. I RDWHAHB or two or three ok maybe 4 or 5 but all and all it turned out a good day.

11 gallons of APA...

20.5# CMC 2-row
1# munich
1# C55L

1oz warrior (15.4%) @60
.5oz simcoe (11.9%) @10
.5oz amarillo (7.5%) @10
1.5oz simcoe (11.9%) @0
1.5oz amarillo (7.5%) @0

pacman for the yeast

it's at 62 right now, won't let it go above 66.

Yesterday I brewed "Caribou Slobber" from Northern Brewer and tonight I am doing NB Extra pale ale with 3 ounces of centennial and 3 ounces of cascade.

I actually think the wort production on that beer is pretty simple, the fermentation requires a little attention though.

The lame thing about some of the belgian yeasts (coughWYEAST3787cough) is that you'll hit your attenuation like a champ but the flavor is so dependent on pitching somewhat cool and slowly raising the temp. If your trip is like my first tripel, when you look at your numbers and the yeasts specs you'll feel really confident. If the fermentation doesn't go well you've got 5 gallons of bubblegum brew, rocket fuel or barley-banana smoothie.

just my .02

Using WLP500 Trappist and used this recipe with some minor modifications. Subbed Northern Brewer for Magnum, used 8oz of Turbinado and 3lb of Dark Candi Syrup. Wound up getting about 72% efficiency. Had targeted 75% in the recipe, and still got close to my target OG, getting 1.100 on the nose. 1.6l starter and it's in the fermenter.

Like you said, I've heard that these Belgian yeasts can be very finicky about temperature. My house ambient temp is 65, so I'm leaving it there for today. I have a plastic tub with an aquarium heater that I'll put the carboy in tomorrow and begin ramping it up to 75 over the next 5 days or so. Then leave it there for two weeks before bottling. Let's hope for a smooth fermentation!!

All in all, very happy with my first all grain brew!

Sunday I brewed my house pale ale, basically EdWorts Haus but with c-40 instead of c-10, and centennial for bittering and 50/50 centennial-cascade at 30min, finishing all cascade. mash at 154° and ferment at 62°. I am trying to get the pipeline full again. all those empty cornys make me sad. only 4 more to fill!

Making up half batch of Graff this weekend along with an oatmeal stout. The new GF wants to see how it's done. This is when I knew she was a keeper!!

Group brew this Saturday!

I'm going to do 11 gallons of Oatmeal Stout and pitch it onto a Nottingham yeast cake from my Brown Ale. I think two other people are brewing double batches...unfortunately I don't have time or fermenter space to make that happen. I guess I'll make do with just drinking and watching them brew. :D

I made some Belgian blonde of my own recipe. Pitched wit yeast biermuncher style. The wort smelled really good, like a nice mead. I used a quarter pound of honey malt and 2.5 lbs of local honey. Hit the numbers, smoked my pipe, very relaxing day

Brewday>otherdays. :mug:

Finished up early this morning. In about six hours, after cooking myself a 2 inch ribeye, while drinking 9 beers, I got a lot done. Started a starter, warmed strike water, measured, ground grain. Got Mash going, cleaned three cornies. Racked 2 secondaries to cornies, Cleaned secondaries, racked from primaries to secondaries, cleaned primaries. Made ten gallons of basic wheat (eventually watermellon, and orange 5 gallons each). Buzzed and tired the only thing I screwed up on was to put chilller into wort. Bathed my 5 gallon pot in ice to pitch, covered the 4 gallon pot and put in fridg to introduce after cool. 5 hours later kruasen very thick. I am not going to bite that much off again, Whew!

Not brewing this weekend, but on Tuesday (my b-day) I'll be brewing 15 gallons!!!
1st: Edworts IPA
2nd: Biermunchers Blue Balls
3rd: Arrogant Bastard Clone

I mean a guys gotta have something to try out his new three tap system right?

Back