Need clone for Oskar Blues Ten FIDY Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schupaul

Reaction score
Need clone for Oskar Blues Ten FIDY Imperial Stout. Anyone out there got one already.

oskar%20blues%20ten%20fidy%20imperial%20stout.jpg

Here is the website description:
Ten Fidy

Ten FidyTen FIDY Imperial Stout - Now (11-21-07) available in cans, our winter seasonal beer is immensely viscous and loaded with neck-deep flavors of chocolate, malt, coffee, cocoa and oats.

It's the beer equivalent of decadently rich milkshake made with malted-milk balls and Heaven’s best chocolate ice cream. Ten FIDY is about 10% ABV and is made with enormous amounts of two-row malts, chocolate malts, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops. Its huge-but-comforting flavors hide a whopping 98 IBUs that are deftly tucked underneath the beer’s mountains of malty goodness.

Ten FIDY is the ultimate Rocky Mountain winter warmer, and further proof of the creative muscle of our beloved brewing staff. Look for fourpacks of Ten FIDY in select beer stores in Colorado. Out of state? We hope to send a few cases to a few of our other states in early '08.

Need clone for Oskar Blues Ten FIDY Imperial Stout. Anyone out there got one already.

oskar%20blues%20ten%20fidy%20imperial%20stout.jpg

Here is the website description:
Ten Fidy

Ten FidyTen FIDY Imperial Stout - Now (11-21-07) available in cans, our winter seasonal beer is immensely viscous and loaded with neck-deep flavors of chocolate, malt, coffee, cocoa and oats.

It's the beer equivalent of decadently rich milkshake made with malted-milk balls and Heaven’s best chocolate ice cream. Ten FIDY is about 10% ABV and is made with enormous amounts of two-row malts, chocolate malts, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops. Its huge-but-comforting flavors hide a whopping 98 IBUs that are deftly tucked underneath the beer’s mountains of malty goodness.

Ten FIDY is the ultimate Rocky Mountain winter warmer, and further proof of the creative muscle of our beloved brewing staff. Look for fourpacks of Ten FIDY in select beer stores in Colorado. Out of state? We hope to send a few cases to a few of our other states in early '08.

anyone? still looking.

Boil Size: 5.95 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.106 SG
Estimated Color: 68.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 80.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
12 lbs 13.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs 10.1 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1 lbs 15.3 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
1 lbs 10.8 oz Bitish Crystal 53L (55.0 SRM)
1 lbs 10.8 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)
1 lbs 6.4 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
1.12 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 80.
1.12 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 25.
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
1.12 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10.
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Mash 155.0 F 75 min

This is the recipe I made after talking with the head brewer of Oskar Blues, Dave Chichura. He gave me specs and percentages and I used Beersmith to put the recipe together for a 5 gallon batch.

I also put this on a yeast cake from a light ale and used O2 to make sure it would ferment out. My first attempt stalled at 1.040 and is a bit too sweet. So the extra yeast and O2 really helped.

OG should be 1.100 and final gravity at 1.030. I overshot by a bit at 1.106.

Ferment at 68F.

I brewed this a month ago and its now in secondary to age a bit. It tastes good, but is really boosey right now. It's going to take a little time to mellow. But if you like an alcohol bite to your beer, than it would be drinkable now. I want to brew another batch to put in a barrel, but I need a barrel first :)

Great work Mack! That's a serious grain bill. Interesting not to see any black patent malt in it. Maybe that's why I like Ten Fidy so much! :)

You certainly could have benefited from a big starter on that beast over simply dumping on top of a yeast cake. I do some intermittent shaking on my starters, and that would STILL call for a 3.8L (2.5L with sir plate).

Its my understanding they use the first runnings from 2 separate mashes to of this grain bill to produce the wort.

I would also love to clone ten-fidy. it is possibly my favorite winter brew EVER! If that recipe works out, I may have to give it a try.

Brewing this tomorrow with 8lbs of pale LME I have from before I went all-grain. Also decided to knock 4oz of the roasted barley out and replace it with 4oz of peat smoked malt. I absolutely LOVE Ten FIDY and Old Chubb. Hoping the peat malt adds just a hint of a blend of the two. Biggest brew I've tried, so it'll be fun. Not a cheap beer, mind you... but hopefully it will be worth it!

Boil Size: 5.95 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.106 SG
Estimated Color: 68.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 80.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
12 lbs 13.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3 lbs 10.1 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1 lbs 15.3 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
1 lbs 10.8 oz Bitish Crystal 53L (55.0 SRM)
1 lbs 10.8 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)
1 lbs 6.4 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
1.12 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 80.
1.12 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 25.
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
1.12 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10.
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins)
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Mash 155.0 F 75 min

I'm getting ready to brew this recipe, but before I do, is there anything you would recommend changing? Several months have passed since you brewed this, so I assume you have tasted it by now.

Re: Need clone for Oskar Blues Ten FIDY Imperial Stout

1) Mash 20 lbs. of Double Chocolate Chip Cookies with 6 gallons Chocolate Milk
2) Add yeast and ferment until 10.5% abv

I just bottled my version of this after brewing it back in June. I had some LME I needed to use, so I modified the recipe to be partial mash. Also added a bit of peat smoked malt.

This is VERY close to Ten-Fidy at bottling ... Even after my modifications. Drinks with that same silky smoothness. Can't wait until it has a few months to bottle condition.

I brewed this recipe back in August and it is tasting very good now. My efficiency was way low so I had to add some dark DME and table sugar in secondary to attempt to reach my target abv. In the end, my abv is at or just below 10% (~9.95%). I let this sit in primary for about 1 month, transfered to secondary for about a month, and then bottled. I rehydrated some dry yeast (I didn't record which yeast I used) and added to the bottling bucket at bottling time to ensure adequate carbonation. I added corn sugar to about 2.3 vols of CO2.

I wasn't thrilled with this beer after about 1 month of bottle conditioning. It was not well carbonated at this time and tasted a bit off. After about two months in the bottle, carbonation and overall flavor significantly improved. A couple of weeks ago I tasted my version next to the Ten Fidy and preferred mine because it had a bit more carbonation, was slightly sweeter, and seemed a bit less thick on the tongue (I finished at a SG of 1.027 but the increased carbonation of mine also likely effected mouth feel). My wife tasted mine next to the Ten Fidy blind, not knowing which was which, and preferred mine also. Her comment was that mine was better carbonated, more flavorful, and slightly less thick and syrupy.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this recipe and would certainly recommend it. My wife and I have tasted it next to other imperial stouts, like Bell's Expedition Stout, and have consistently preferred mine (all of her tastings were blind). With this batch I bottled about 3 gallons as it was, put 1 gallon on oak chips & bourbon, and 1 gallon with 50 mL of Still Spirits Top Shelf Chocolate Cream Liquer Essence. I'm pleased with the results of all so far. I also took the same base recipe and bumped it up to make a 3 gallon batch of 14.4% imperial stout. I added some liquid chocolate extract to all 3 gallons, and some raspberry extract to 1 gallon for a raspberry chocolate imperial stout. I just bottled this big one last week so it will need to sit for a while before tasting.

The only thing I would change when I brew this again would be to mash with less water and sparge with more. I think I sparged with 1 gallon of water, which is nothing on such a big grain bill. Hopefully, this would improve my efficiency.

Back