Outdoor AG set-up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorBrew

Reaction score
How many of you brew AG outdoors? I did my first outdoor brew session last month and my brewing friends were shocked that I was still doing all-grain on the kitchen stove. Does any one do that?

What are your set-ups like? Has anyone ever tried one of these two-tiered cookers?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00264G584/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a couple threads on that cooker. Most of the complaints were about the size(smaller than expected) and that the stand for the propane wasn't connected.

I don't think a permanent set up like that is really necessary if you're just starting outdoors. I use a small economical floor burner And a cheap wooden barstool for gravity-fed transfers. Set up is a cooler, a bucket what spigot, and my 10 gal stainless pot. I drain from the cooler to the bucket ( so I can continue heating water in my pot) and then ultimately drain from my bucket to my kettle. There still some lifting, but it's a much better experience than the sticky linoleum scenario I had with brewing in a kitchen.

Note: I brewed all-grain indoors replete with full boil volumes with a 10 gallon pot for 2 years before I saw the light. My wife has never been happier that there aren't scalded wort stains around the coils of the stove

image-1433601170.jpg

image-974276257.jpg

image-3184993939.jpg

Here's my stand. Since this picture was taken, I've bolted a Blichmann burner and a gravity-fed 40 plate chiller to frame. I keep the whole shibang outside under a grill cover.

30368d1311439564-brew-bag-stand-07232011199.jpg

...shocked that I was still doing all-grain on the kitchen stove. Does any one do that?

All the time, whether it's 5 or 10 gallon batches. I have recently added a 13gal electric BK with a 5500w element though. I see no reason to take the party outside really. I much prefer brewing indoors (especially during winter).

Back