Want to brew tomorrow but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browntrout

Reaction score
I have an oatmeal stout mini-mash kit from AHS that came with the suggested liquid yeast. I was hoping to brew tomorrow but now after reading here I am concerned that I should do the whole starter thing with the liquid yeast which will take time and prevent me from brewing tomorrow. Do you think it will be ok to just pitch it as is? or should I be patient and get starter supplies and do it that way and brew later?

I'm new to this (this will be my third batch, 1st is only 3 days in bottle) and really want to have the pipline going.

I do have a few packets of dry yeast that I could pitch instead but thats probably dumb.

I do have an activator tablet or yeast booster or something to put in too. Will that help?

Please tell me it's ok to brew tomorrow...

If it is an ale then the dried yeast would work fine if it is the correct type for the style. A liquid yeast is a more pure strain and can make a difference but then it is up to your desires. Without knowing exactly what you are brewing it is hard to say any more.

Yeah its an ale. The liquid yeast (WL british ale WLP 005) was recommended by AHS when ordered online. The dry yeast is all also ale yeast. guess I'd rather use the liquid as long as people think it'll be ok to do without a starter.

thanks orangeandblue. thought i was missing something big there with that first response to my original post. stout = ale right? whatever doesnt matter. just want to know about pitching liquid yeast without doing a starter.

I really didnt start making starters until about 2 years ago, before every batch (probably over 50 or so) were all made using one vial of white labs straight from the vial. As long as your fermentation temps are around 68F you'll be fine. Since using a starter I've noticed a cleaner taste and less lag time, no biggie though.

Brew it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are just kidding.......Right???
Brew it!

Making a starter is extra insurance that the yeast is viable and helps to ensure a quick vigorous ferment by pitching sufficient healthy yeast. However with Wyeast Activator Packs and Whitelabs Pitchable tubes making a starter is not necessary.

Brew it. And next time your at the brew store get what you need to make starters.

Craig

If my smack pack swells up within a day - I don't even bother trying to make a starter. I just dump it in and usually have vigorous fermentation activity within 12 hours or so.

Back