is dry extract ordered online any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Many people order DME online. In fact, due to higher turnover, it may be fresher than what you buy locally.

brewheim said:
if it is, does it come hopped?

I have never heard of hopped DME, but I haven't brewed extract in awhile

and how much beer can you make with 3 Lbs of it?
Depends on the style of beer you're making. What did you have in mind?

I buy all of my DME online as the prices vs. my LHBS are way better in bulk. Never looked for hopped DME.

I don't think dry extract comes pre-hopped like the liquid. I don't think that the hop alkaloids will survive the freeze drying process. I've never had a bad experience with dry extract. I would suggest that you

1) dip some wort/warm water out into a bowl
2) dissolve it thoroughly
3) pour it back in the pot

Rinse & repeat until get all the malt dissolved. The bottom of your brew kettle will thank you.

HTH,

M.

I've order over 1000 lbs of the stuff since I've started brewing and never had any problem.

Incidently, it's not freeze dried it's "sprayed" into a hot chamber while still in a liquid form and it turns into a dry powder before it hits the floor (so to speak)...;)

Any recommendations on online companies for DME. I usually buy equipment and extract kits from Northern Brewer. Is there a noticeable difference in taste between a dark DME and an extract dark? I'm guessing no but just wondering.

:tank:

Any recommendations on online companies for DME. I usually buy equipment and extract kits from Northern Brewer. Is there a noticeable difference in taste between a dark DME and an extract dark?
I prefer www.austinhomebrew.com, but any of the common suppliers should work just fine.

As for dark extract...skip it altogether. Get the light or extra light and steep specialty grains for color and flavor.

I just got 50 lbs from Homebrewers.com for $135 after shipping. You may want to look there for bulk orders. cheapest i have found anywhere.

:tank:

Back