Got a rhizome and a ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUCCCC

Reaction score
My single, yes I only bought 1 to see if I could actually grow it, Nugget rhizome arrived today, but included in the box from Hops Direct was a cutting also. The rhizome is about 6 inches long, and so is the vine cutting. Can I use the cutting? If so, how?

I'm no green thumb here.

Matt

ETA: I am looking closer at the v/bine cutting and I can see buds at the "joints" ( wow, there's a couple terms from Dazed and Confused!), so I'm thinking I can plant this just like a rhizome, right?

I've used stuff called root tone to get clippings of the dirty cousin to sprout roots before withering. Basically, you cut the clipped end with very sharp shears and dip it in root tone then plant. I've also done the same but planted it into one of those little foam-like seed starter cubes (can't recall the name right now).

I put clippings of plants in a brewer sampler glass with some water (3 oz.). Sprouts right up.

Some rhizomes are roots and some are vine cuttings. If you bury your hop bines (ones that at still attached to the main plant) at the end of the season, they will take root and can be transplanted, just like the root rhizomes.

Now I need to find a place for another bine...

Perhaps I'll just pot it to start with?

david_42 said:
Some rhizomes are roots and some are vine cuttings. If you bury your hop bines (ones that at still attached to the main plant) at the end of the season, they will take root and can be transplanted, just like the root rhizomes.
This is good to know. So, at the end of the grow season I can cut the bines to about 2-3 feet long and bury them in the soil for more plants? Then when they start growing can you cut them free from the crown they started from? I only have one hop plant growing and it is inside growing up a 20' spire in my parents planing area. I tried to take a cutting of a root before it started growing this year and nothing grew from it, so I need to know much more about hop growing.

WortMonger said:
This is good to know. So, at the end of the grow season I can cut the bines to about 2-3 feet long and bury them in the soil for more plants? Then when they start growing can you cut them free from the crown they started from? I only have one hop plant growing and it is inside growing up a 20' spire in my parents planing area. I tried to take a cutting of a root before it started growing this year and nothing grew from it, so I need to know much more about hop growing.

I did this with some mid-season shoots that came up last year. When they were about 3 ft long I dug a trench and buried the middle 1/3 of the shoot. I was well rooted by the end of the season.

Wow, I am so pumped now. I will do this if the other shoots ever start to grow. I have one bine right now about 7' tall and the other one has been there forever and is only just now opening its leaves out.

pjj2ba said:
I did this with some mid-season shoots that came up last year. When they were about 3 ft long I dug a trench and buried the middle 1/3 of the shoot. I was well rooted by the end of the season.
:rockin:

Crazy! But awesome! Next year I'm going to have more hops than I could shake a sh!tty stick at.

Back