The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets get back on topic and stop calling people out one way or the other. I came to an updated thread to see 2 pages of new posts, 2 post actually about comments people had on our beers.

This past weekend, a friend came over and tasted some Kolsch I'd brewed based on Edwort's recipe.

Me: <pours kolsch for both of us>
Friend: <takes a whiff>
Friend: "Whoa! Lots of hops in this one huh?"
Me: "Nope, actually it's about 4.5% alcohol and pretty low in hops."
Friend: "Huh, so pretty strong then!"
Me: "What? No, not really."

Stupid...

This past weekend, a friend came over and tasted some Kolsch I'd brewed based on Edwort's recipe.

Stupid...

I was in Lincoln Nebraska watching these kids get obliterated on a local 4.5% Kolsh. lol

Upon trying an IIPA that I had intended to be a hop bomb...

"I think you got this one all wrong. It tastes bitter to me."

then tried a Double Stout that had very low hop content, really just enough to keep it from being overly sweet from the malt....

"This one is really bitter too. I don't think I'm going to be able to drink either of these. Do you have any regular beer like Smirnoff Ice Light?"

I didn't even bother going into all the problems with the comments. It's just not fair to have a battle of wits against an unarmed person.

Stupid...

Stupid, maybe.... more like clueless. If he's stupid he prolly wouldn't be your friend.

We forget how much we know about beer. The mundane common stuff to us is new info to the swill drinker/non-homebrewer types.

I bet the average beer drinker doesn't know the ABV amount of the swill they drink.

As this thread shows, its pretty amusing! :)

Stupid, maybe.... more like clueless. If he's stupid he prolly wouldn't be your friend.

We forget how much we know about beer. The mundane common stuff to us is new info to the swill drinker/non-homebrewer types.

I bet the average beer drinker doesn't know the ABV amount of the swill they drink.

As this thread shows, its pretty amusing! :)

Yeah, not a stupid guy...actually f'ing brilliant systems design guy, but doesn't know squat about beer. I guess I'm too far down the rabbit hole to relate. :D

I haven't really had any stupid comments on my beer but every now and then my dad will ask for a beer and then leave 3/4 of the bottle.

Stupid...

Sounds familiar,

I had a friend (coors light drinker but likes to try my stuff) try my Stone IPA clone which I sucked at with efficiency and came out at 5.5% but all 77 IBUs were there so it was a hoppy one.

Anyways, he takes a swirl and goes, woooo that is some strong stuff referring to the potency ABV wise, and I say actually that is bitterness and has nothing to do with the alcohol content in this.

Sounds familiar,

I had a friend (coors light drinker but likes to try my stuff) try my Stone IPA clone which I sucked at with efficiency and came out at 5.5% but all 77 IBUs were there so it was a hoppy one.

Anyways, he takes a swirl and goes, woooo that is some strong stuff referring to the potency ABV wise, and I say actually that is bitterness and has nothing to do with the alcohol content in this.

I also did the Stone IPA clone but had the opposite problem. I forgot to up my efficiency to 93% from 70%, so I ended up with a 10.5% IPA. Took second place out of 51 beers in the category, though. Sad thing is I made it for my Dad and only kept enough bottles to send to the competition.

</threadjack>

Not exactly homebrew, but still beer related nonetheless...

I was visting my parents at Xmas time a couple years back. Both of my parents have become really excited about my new found passion (ok ok...obsession:D) , so I'm at Spec's w/ my mom picking up a few sixers of random beers I think they might like.

As we're perusing the beer section, my mom starts talking to a couple of guys pushing a cart full of several different sixers. I can't remember their choices exactly, but I want to say there was some Blue Moon, Fat Tire, Sierra Nevada, and a couple others. We had just visited a local brewery and she actually liked one of their beers, so she asks them if they've tried it (Southern Star Pale Ale FWIW...tiny brewery just north of Houston).

They both respond w/ "Oh thanks, but I don't like ales".

:drunk:

Most people have actually said it's a pretty good beer, just not their style (foreign extra stout). Worst I got was one or two of my friends (who I give **** about for drinking Bud Light and Miller Lite) was like "This tastes like straight up coffee!" and jokingly said I should brew a Miller Lite. I said I will drink some good big beesr, piss in the bottles, and give them to him, as I am pretty sure that is the recipe for Miller Lite.

Oh, and half the people (mainly older folks) said "You brewed this?" in a unbelieving tone. Then they asked where I brewed it, I said my kitchen, and explained how, which shut them up.

I had one tonight at dinner.

We went to the local Brewpub here in town. They have their regular lineup of in-house brews, PA, IPA, Amber, Bitter, CA ect.

I ask the waitress when their Double IPA was being brewed again. She said they usually release it in September and it goes quick. "Because its around 9% alcohol. They shouldn't call it an IPA though, its almost a barleywine"

From what I hear, its a pretty standard DIPA, maybe not "double" enough if anything.

What I find strange about this brewpub is that they have their regular seasonals, but they don't rotate them enough. I mean they have had the same tap selection since Feb.

To change it up recently they put their stout (which tastes great btw) on nitrogen. It was a very interesting experience, but I have always taken porters (which they need one) and stouts as more of a cold weather beer. Why add some notoriety to a product that people aren't going to crave based on the weather. Either way the experiment was a good one, but I still prefer the beer on co2. Maybe not enough body to justify a nitro tap. This brewpub needs to figure its stuff out though. Nobody in town serves their beer (from what I hear they have burned too many bridges with local business owners). Plus I really want to work with the brewers there. I'm just too young and full of ideas and ambition!

Anyway!
I always tell people they don't know how to describe the beer properly if they just say "dark" to describe a beer thats "not coors light"

I suppose I will get ulcers if I try too hard. Most people don't care enough to learn about anything.

I had one tonight at dinner.

We went to the local Brewpub here in town. They have their regular lineup of in-house brews, PA, IPA, Amber, Bitter, CA ect.

I ask the waitress when their Double IPA was being brewed again. She said they usually release it in September and it goes quick. "Because its around 9% alcohol. They shouldn't call it an IPA though, its almost a barleywine"

From what I hear, its a pretty standard DIPA, maybe not "double" enough if anything.

What I find strange about this brewpub is that they have their regular seasonals, but they don't rotate them enough. I mean they have had the same tap selection since Feb.

To change it up recently they put their stout (which tastes great btw) on nitrogen. It was a very interesting experience, but I have always taken porters (which they need one) and stouts as more of a cold weather beer. Why add some notoriety to a product that people aren't going to crave based on the weather. Either way the experiment was a good one, but I still prefer the beer on co2. Maybe not enough body to justify a nitro tap. This brewpub needs to figure its stuff out though. Nobody in town serves their beer (from what I hear they have burned too many bridges with local business owners). Plus I really want to work with the brewers there. I'm just too young and full of ideas and ambition!

Anyway!
I always tell people they don't know how to describe the beer properly if they just say "dark" to describe a beer thats "not coors light"

I suppose I will get ulcers if I try too hard. Most people don't care enough to learn about anything.

:off: Which brew pub is this?

I know of two that meet that description there is one in Downtown Spokane, and one near the freeway on Trent, not far from the college.

-Jason

:off: Which brew pub is this?

I know of two that meet that description there is one in Downtown Spokane, and one near the freeway on Trent, not far from the college.

-Jason

Bingo. On Tent near GU. Is the other one Steamplant?

They do have amazing food though, and most of their beers are great. They just don't have a very good business strategy IMHO.

I am not going to post any names,
The "landmark" place downtown serves their really good brews too cold! and the wait staff know nothing about the product

I am not going to post any names,
The "landmark" place downtown serves their really good brews too cold! and the wait staff know nothing about the product

Well how about the actual brewpub over in Idaho? Do they serve them too cold as well?

To change it up recently they put their stout (which tastes great btw) on nitrogen. It was a very interesting experience, but I have always taken porters (which they need one) and stouts as more of a cold weather beer. Why add some notoriety to a product that people aren't going to crave based on the weather.

Where as we see these beers as being a Fall/Winter experience the general public will to drink "good beer" is doing it too look cool and their mentality is the blacker it is the more they like "Good Beer". So where it may not be seasonally appropriate, it is most likely a big seller year round.

This weekend while brewing:

Neigbor kid (19): Ya making moonshine?
Me: Nope. Distilling is illegal. I'm making beer
Neigbor kid: Oh. Ya making it with potatoes?
me: Nope - Barley, water, hops and yeast
Neigbor kid: Oh. So everyone I know does it in the front yard. Is that so, like, if ya get caught it's not a big deal?
Me: Distilling is illegal, making beer is perfectly legal. I'm making it out here because it's nice out and seemed like a convenient spot.
Neigbor kid: Oh - wanders off....

Later he dropped back by - right as the boil was about to start. He was impressed at how good it smelled (was making a dark mild) and I gave him the rundown on what the equipment was. He was pretty shocked at the time (both on brewday and in aging) that it takes to make good beer.

Yeah I'm thinking his stepmom has already taught him... Not that I have a low opinion of her or anything...

It was quite obvious that at least SOMEONE he knows makes moonshine. And there ARE a couple houses in the neighborhood that are almost certainly meth houses. Oh well... nother couple years and I can be the genuinely white trash one in the neighborhood ;-)

Took my weizen (honey) over to a poker game Friday night. Most of my friends appreciate good beers and they were really excited to taste this batch. Comments were as follows:

Friend 1 - You made this?? Really? You made beer? (he's a little behind the times)
Friend 2 - (after 2 sips) Wow. No really...wow.
Me - Is that a good wow or a bad wow?
Friend 2 - It's just a wow. I need more beer to determine what kind. (hold out glass)
Friend 1 - It's good. Has a little kick on the aftertaste. I mean it's no Paulaner.

These guys are good friends, so I'm not sure they would really tell me if it was bad to my face. The true test for this batch will be when my brother the weizen snob drinks it.

My inlaws and my wife's friends consider me to be a beer snob because I bring my own beer to their house whenever I'm invited. I've turned my father in law onto Hoegaarden and Guinness however. He likes that more than the Keystone Light he used to drink.

We had a party one day and no one was interested in trying "homebrew". At the end, on the way out, one person wanted to try it before they left. After taking a sip, she stated "Wow, this tastes like beer".

I wanted to say, "Here's your sign." :D

This isn't a comment about MY beer but it is a stupid homebrew comment:

So at a locally owned pizza place in town that happens to serve good beer! I got a 23oz bottle of Arrogant Bastard.

One of my friends, who had never tried it before, takes a sip and says, "Yeah, I can see why you like it. It takes like homebrew."

I could decide whether to slap him or yell at him so instead made some really angry sputtering sounds before snapping at him, "Fine, give it back then."

He then promptly ordered a Miller Lite to spite me....

I could decide whether to slap him or yell at him so instead made some really angry sputtering sounds before snapping at him, "Fine, give it back then."

He then promptly ordered a Miller Lite to spite me....

You should've said "thank you" for the compliment of comparing your homebrew to Arrogant Bastard, then when he ordered a Miller Lite say "yeah, I can see why you like it. It tastes like PISS." :D

Ok so here's the deal... I've been on both ends of the spectrum lol. Used to be a hardcore Bud Light guy. My buddy got me into brewing. I've probably said every single comment in here to him, lol. But he's a persistent guy. Every new batch i got a sixer with him explaining every detail about it to me. So over time i've learned the joys of home brews and how to experience the different nuances. And eventually got into it myself. Now I won't hardly accept a Bud Light if it's given to me.

I'm on the phone with my old man last night. He's a Budweiser only guy. I told him that i had my first brew in and when he got up here in Sept. I'd let him have some. His response was "I only like full bodied lagers like Budweiser." He lives in Mississippi where Bud really is the King of Beers.

Ok so here's the deal... I've been on both ends of the spectrum lol. Used to be a hardcore Bud Light guy. My buddy got me into brewing. I've probably said every single comment in here to him, lol. But he's a persistent guy. Every new batch i got a sixer with him explaining every detail about it to me. So over time i've learned the joys of home brews and how to experience the different nuances. And eventually got into it myself. Now I won't hardly accept a Bud Light if it's given to me.

I'm on the phone with my old man last night. He's a Budweiser only guy. I told him that i had my first brew in and when he got up here in Sept. I'd let him have some. His response was "I only like full bodied lagers like Budweiser." He lives in Mississippi where Bud really is the King of Beers.

Where at in Mississippi? I lived in Tupelo for a looong time and can vouche for that comment.

Back