How do you pronounce the word "Wyeast"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerthoven

Reaction score
Is it like "Why - Yeast" or "Why - east" or "Wheest" or what? :confused: I looked in the dictionary for words that are spelled the same way, and the first two are closest.

Every time I see "Wyeast", it pisses me off...:mad:

Wy'east, according to the guys that work there. Don't know about how the native Americans pronounced it, but it's their name for Mt. Hood.

Yeast.

I don't buy White Labs. Nothing against them, just like the variety of Wyeast. And I'm more accustomed to their flavors. I'll say this though - their mead yeast sucks.

brloomis said:
Every time I see "Wyeast", it pisses me off...:mad:
I wouldnt use it if I were you...... (I mean if it pisses you off) I like the stuff whatever you call it... I call it Wyeast LOL LOL LOL
Sorry I had to go there.
JJ

From the Wyeast site:

"Although a familiar name around Hood River, many people are unaware "Wyeast" is derived from a local Klickitat Indian legend. As legend has it, two fierce Indian Chiefs were locked in battle for the affections of the maiden Loo-wit. The battle became so ferocious the Great Spirit intervened by destroying the Bridge of the Gods (the arch over the Columbia River, connecting the two mountains). The Great Spirit turned Loo-wit into Mt. St Helens, Chief Klickitat into Mt. Adams and Chief Wy'east into Mt. Hood."

Back