wine is too sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graffij1

Reaction score
I used starwberry vintners harvest juice its been going for almost two months now. I just racked it again and its too sweet. The sg was 1.108 its now down to 1.05 and has been there for a month. What can I do to get this to dry out some? I'm open to suggestions.

If raising the temp doesn't work you could pitch a pack of EC-1118. That monster can restart most stuck fermentations.

Ryan

what about just adding yeast nutrient? would that work or should I i just add a full packett of yeast?

is it truly stuck or just going slow?? in other words is it still producing co2?? I have two wines going right now that have been brewing from more than 2 months. Making a good wine takes time. If it is still bubbling along I would not try and rush it.

re pitch yeast, use the Lavin EC-1118 and warm it up to at least 70* (75* would be better). Would not hurt to throw in some nutrient and enegizer if you have some on hand.
Good luck

Your yeast is dead,has it fermented at all?ever?your gravity drop may be due to settlement in the time from your first reading.add a low active temperature yeast if you have nowhere warmer to move your carboy.
Not sure on this but I think you should add campden tablets and re add new yeast 48 hours later.

I didn't add anything. And yes I had fermentation at one point the gravity dropped and the air lock bubbled. I added the tablets last night and got the yeast tonight going to add tomorrow night.

Liquiditynerd, what are you doing with my dog in your avatar
KimChee001.jpg

Daze said:
is it truly stuck or just going slow?? in other words is it still producing co2?? I have two wines going right now that have been brewing from more than 2 months. Making a good wine takes time. If it is still bubbling along I would not try and rush it.

Read my post about yeast with a helping hand. I have some wine that is bubbling slow? Added a lot of sugar after fermentation started

I had that problem also with premier. I don't know the attenuTion off hand but I have added cuvee ( blue pack) or the champagne (yellow pack) to dry it out.

Do I boil the water before rehydrating? I've never hydrated yeast before just threw in the dry stuff and it bubbled away.

rack, degas, air lock- let site for at least 2 hours, add cheap vodka slowly to taste or to SG 1.0 (no lower), degas again, air lock... Let sit for 1 month, test again,
* if still at SG 1.0 or higher, add campden tabs and sorbate per directions on container, 10 days later, rack, wait 3 days - bottle (wait at least 2 months to drink).
** if SG is lower than or equal to .99 wait 14 days, test again and if still lower than or equal to .99, rack, wait 14 days, - bottle (wait at least 2 months to drink - no longer than 12 month to fully drink - because of no camptden and sorbate to keep it from spoiling).
Good Luck...

Back