Brewing with nuts????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think nuts have oils that would either turn rancid (not ferment) and/or kill the head on a beer. So, it's not something I've ever thought about doing. Someone around here used peanut butter, IIRC.

There are some malts that will give you a nutty flavor/aroma, but I agree with Yooper - not a good idea to actually use real nuts.

My concern would be having someone with a nut allergy drink it unknowingly. If you don't know anyone with a nut allergy, may not be a problem. Other than that, I would go with what Yooper and Bird said.

Just wondering is all.

I'd much rather ask then find out the hard way. hahaahhaha

I think it was torchiest that made a Peanut Butter Ale (can't recall for sure though). I think he had one heck of a time getting rid of the oil, but iirc he mentioned it turned out good.

Personally, I find it fun to derive those flavors (nutty, fruity, etc) from malts, hops and yeast. It is really fun to have someone think you put something into a brew, say like Cherries when you never did. 'Course there are some tricks to getting these to come through in the final product, but that is one challenge I *love* in homebrewing.

Ewwww peanut butter flavored beer. hahahahah sorry but that does not sound good...

Will have to see how my head cheese ale turns out.

I brewed a hazelnut stout using hazelnuts. I coarsely crushed the nuts and then toasted in them in the oven until they slightly browned (they burn fast) I threw 1.5lbs of nuts in the mash and then another .5lb at flameout. The brew turned out great. The hazelnut aroma was pretty strong but the flavor was mild. It didn't really hurt my head retention as much as I thought it would. I should say that the hazelnut aroma and flavor faded away after a few weeks in the keg. hope this helped

I've brewed with almonds before. Well...actually it was with some homemade granola that had almonds. The granola consisted of rolled oats, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and almonds. I made about a 1.5 of the granola, toasted it in the oven and added it to my mash. It came out just fantastic! One of the weirdest and most successful experiments to date!

Back