Budget options for Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alenub

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After getting a decent pipeline going, I have decided to look into secondary fermentation tanks. I currently have a batch with stuck fermentation that I'd like to rack off so I free up my primary and get another batch started. Ideally I would like a few better bottles but I don't want to fork over $50 each, so I took to google and found these:

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retai...Cleaning/Water-and-Water-Dispensers/ASAQ2GO12

BPA free, easier to carry, includes a top handle. What sort of issues could arise if I were to use it for storing beer?

Pretty clearly states its a single use bottle. I suspect the walls of this are similar to those of 1L bottles and you will find yourself needing a new one after the second batch. Pony up the money for the right equipment. You'll be glad you did. Cheap does not mean less money.

go buy a 5 gal calligan bottle for water coolers cost like 15 bucks, use the water to brew with then clean and now you have secondary carboy.. and you will need to get a stopper designed for better bottles. (or something similiar, not sure if calligan sells in Victoria)

Amazon.com has 23 Liter i.e. 6 gallon Glass Carboy's for 28.07 and free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime. By far the best price i've found anywhere online or at a brewstore. Quality is good. I have two of them.

Back