New Brewhemoth conicals!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpez

Reaction score
I went to order that Brewhemoth I have been eyeing for some time and what do you know, they have updated the site with some new configurations!

I just picked up the all tri clover conical for 454.99. What a steal!!!

http://brewhemoth.com/tri-clover-brewhemoth

They are also offering the immersion chiller for another $159… available with a brewhemoth or separately.

Mine is going in a freezer so I passed on that option.

UPS delivered my Brewhemoth yesterday! Mine is a "hybrid". I have 4" and 1" Tri-clover fittings on top and a 1 1/4" ss dump valve and 1/2" ss racking valve. This thing is a tank! Very nice welds. Very smooth inside.

Mpez said:
I went to order that Brewhemoth I have been eyeing for some time and what do you know, they have updated the site with some new configurations!

I just picked up the all tri clover conical for 454.99. What a steal!!!

http://brewhemoth.com/tri-clover-brewhemoth

They are also offering the immersion chiller for another $159… available with a brewhemoth or separately.

Mine is going in a freezer so I passed on that option.

I'm curious how exactly does the chiller work? Is it just used to cool the wort down to pitching temps?

BrewBeemer said:
No, it's to maintain plus lower the temps inside the ferm which was tested before becoming available.

So you just run cold water through it to keep the wort at lower ferm temp. How do you keep it at a specific and constant temp?

Rad. Wonder how they weld the inside of the racking port.

Before the top goes on.
dscn0350m.jpg

Is there a thermowell built into the brewhemoth?

Not in the side wall. I will be using the 1 inch tri clover on top to rig up my thermowell. I will be keeping mine in a fridge and will use a ranco + thermowell to regulate temps.

Here is what I plan:
brewhem_therm.jpg

Brewers hardware also carries a 20 inch tri clover thermowell. It would cost a little more, but would look pretty nice.

Hmmm, thinking about this some more and why not place the tri clover thermowell directly onto the 1 inch TC fitting. Then just buy a second 4 inch tri clover cap and drill it and place a gasket in it for the airlock?

You would get the thermowell further down into the fermenter and you would save some $

I like it... :cross:

So you just run cold water through it to keep the wort at lower ferm temp. How do you keep it at a specific and constant temp?
Back thru a SS coil submerged in a two gallon bucket inside a dorm fridge with a submersible pump, Johnson control probe in the airlock. Same thing a coil inside the 4" TC cap as Brewhemoth designed. Space is a problem with a full size fridge, the Brewhemoth will fit I elected free standing as the garage holds a cool temp year round.

BrewBeemer said:
Back thru a SS coil submerged in a two gallon bucket inside a dorm fridge with a submersible pump, Johnson control probe in the airlock. Same thing a coil inside the 4" TC cap as Brewhemoth designed. Space is a problem with a full size fridge, the Brewhemoth will fit I elected free standing as the garage holds a cool temp year round.

These look pretty nice and the price is right, however I don't see the chiller being able to hold a constant ferm temp.

These look pretty nice and the price is right, however I don't see the chiller being able to hold a constant ferm temp.

My last reply I plan on making my own chiller for inside the Brewhemoth, already have a coiled cooler and small dorm fridge.
My garage has temp swings from 70 to 73 degrees year round I find quite easy to control under these low rather even garage temps. Time will tell before plan "B" is required.

BrewBeemer said:
My last reply I plan on making my own chiller for inside the Brewhemoth, already have a coiled cooler and small dorm fridge.
My garage has temp swings from 70 to 73 degrees year round I find quite easy to control under these low rather even garage temps. Time will tell before plan "B" is required.

Yea that does sound like it would work with those mild temp swings. I live in florida so my temps will be pretty high, so this probably won't work for me.

FAK... another thing I "MUST" have...

-=jason=-

for the chiller: bucket of ice water hooked up to temp controller and pump same idea using a temp controller on a fermenter fridge. ??

temp get high, controller kicks power to the pump, temp gets back into range and pump stops?

One issue I can see with the immersion chiller is that the yeast on it would fall off as you racked below the coil level. Then you would get some in the pickup. Am I missing something obvious here?

One issue I can see with the immersion chiller is that the yeast on it would fall off as you racked below the coil level. Then you would get some in the pickup. Am I missing something obvious here?

So just "bump" the coil a few times a day or two before you rack... should knock the loose stuff off. Doesn't seem like a big issue at all.

The diameter of the cooling coils inside the brewhemoth must be small enough to fit inside the 4" TC opening, the racking port is at a larger radius than the coils. No worries unless gravity has done something strange with not pulling straight down as in past history?

It was reported by Dale with day to day temp drops during testing of the chiller coils in the Brewhemoth. Falling temps documented i'd call it a successful test well documented plus posted on facebook. This is some where in their facebook threads; http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-B...9&set=a.149665298414659.26398.144437928937396
I would lean more towards believing Dale's recorded temp drops over given set time reports vs "I don't see the chiller being able to hold a constant ferm temp".
Sorry molson not to start a pissing war I believe in real life conditions with numbers.

BrewBeemer said:
It was reported by Dale day to day at Brewhemoth during testing the chiller coils in the Brewhemoth with temps falling, a successful plus well documented report. Somewhere in their facebook threads; http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Brewhemoth/144437928937396#!/photo.php?fbid=155592364488619&set=a.149665298414659.26398.144437928937396
I would lean more towards believing in temp drops over given set time reports vs a "I don't see the chiller being able to hold a constant ferm temp".
Sorry molson not to start a pissing war I believe in real life conditions and numbers.

I believe in real life numbers too however I didn't have access to them until now. I wasnt trying to bash the product, was just curious how it worked.

I find it a PITA to find that facebook daily temp reports, I promise it's in there.
My first concerns were about the coils being deep enough and still be fully submerged with 5 gallon batches.
I myself would add a 3/4" to 1" thick neoprene jacket around the conical, body plus top to remove external temp changes effecting the internal temps and let the chiller system maintain constant level temps. JMO.

Hmmm, thinking about this some more and why not place the tri clover thermowell directly onto the 1 inch TC fitting. Then just buy a second 4 inch tri clover cap and drill it and place a gasket in it for the airlock?

You would get the thermowell further down into the fermenter and you would save some $

I like it... :cross:

The only problem with that is that you would lose the HopLup by going with a diff cap. If you didn't care about that you could also just get an end cap reducer and not have to drill anything. I love TC. So many options!

True, but I scored a new 4" end cap off ebay for 10 bucks. If I really need the hoplup I can just drill that one and use the other undrilled one when I need to pressurize.

The only problem with that is that you would lose the HopLup by going with a diff cap. If you didn't care about that you could also just get an end cap reducer and not have to drill anything. I love TC. So many options!

Why would you lose the HopLup? Airlocks don't care whether their hole was drilled into the center of the cap or not.

Why would you lose the HopLup? Airlocks don't care whether their hole was drilled into the center of the cap or not.

I ended up drilling the original end cap for my airlock. I will keep an undrilled end cap on hand for when I need to pressurize.

I am fairly certain that even the chiller comes with the HopLup...in fact, I think we have only sent out one or two without it! We decided that it should have it too...even though it could indeed be a little more difficult to use with the chiller welded in there...

Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Josh
The Brewhemoth

Actually, there is no issues using both the chiller and Hoplup. Been there and did that, removing the hop bag was nice and easy!

What kind of valves to do you use for this, it says none of the valves are included and I didn't see any on their website.

All my fermentors have large internal cooling coils and no yeast fall off problems I have seen.
Very little yeast is deposited on the coils compared to what settles in the cone.

Before I transfer to the aging tank the fermentor is cooled down to ≈34° F for a few hours for most of the yeast to settle and to prepare for aging.
Some yeast will and should transfer to do its cleanup magic during aging.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Not in the side wall. I will be using the 1 inch tri clover on top to rig up my thermowell. I will be keeping mine in a fridge and will use a ranco + thermowell to regulate temps.

Here is what I plan:
brewhem_therm.jpg

Brewers hardware also carries a 20 inch tri clover thermowell. It would cost a little more, but would look pretty nice.

Do you remember specifically what parts you ordered to do this?? I am looking to do the same thing.

I looked at brewer's hardware and picked up a 20" tri clover thermowell, a tee, and an elbow.

Any idea on the stopper size for the elbow?

thanks

So I won a Brewhemoth tri-clover version for a best of show competition in St Louis (Thank you for sponsoring, guys!). This was great since I have been drooling over these for a while.

Now I need to buy the appropriate fittings. Looking at this hardware at the different sites I come to realize that my normal harware shopping process of just buying anything I might need knowing that eventually I'll use it will be a little cost prohibitive, especially since my wife thinks it's a good idea to get another fermentation fridge and I do not want to discourage her.

So I essentially have one open purchase order from her at this time - Can someone who has had some experience with these guys give me their thoughts on my proposed list?

1" Top blow-off port:
I am thinking I'd simply use a drilled rubber stopper for the airlock, but use a cam fitting from when I pump the wort into it and recirc PBW/StartSan. Not really thinking about a thermowell at this time, I usually manage the fridge temp a little cool at the start.

1 / 1.5" Triclover x 1/2" NPT ($12) to connect my Cam fitting
1 Clamp ($6)
1 EPDM Gasket ($1.25)

1" Bottom Racking port:
I am thinking of simply a valve for sampling and of course racking/packaging

1" Tri-Clover Ball Valve - Quick clean ($40)
1 / 1.5" Triclover x 1/2" hose barb ($13)
2 Clamp ($12)
2 EPDM Gasket ($2.5)

1.5" Bottom
I am not certain on my fridge height, but I figured to pull a 90 degree bend just in case. I've seen the cool yeast harvesters but can't see why to do that when you can just pull it off anytime.

1.5" Butterfly valve (Trigger - Pull - what?) ($51)
1.5" 90 degree elbow ($15)
1 / 1.5" Triclover x 1/2" hose barb ($13)
1 / 1.5" Triclover x 1/2" NPT to connect my Cam fitting for cleaning ($12)
3 Clamp ($18)
3 EPDM Gasket ($3.75)

Assorted:
Clamps: Are they sized the same way? 1.5" clamp for a 1.5" fitting even though the ferrule is 2"?
Gaskets: Are they the same size for 1" vs 1.5" ports?
Either way I end up with 6 clamps and 6 gaskets, I'll get a few more gaskets for good measure.

Rough numbers put me at about $200 with brewers hardware prices - Constructive Comments?

Back