Immense Joy and a bit of sadness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJerk

Reaction score
Ok, so last September 9th, 2009 I bottled a Russian Imperial Stout that is 10.8% ABV for 6 months after that every time I drank on it was meh at best, with a big harsh alcohol burn. Today I just popped one and it is everything I hoped for when I originally decided to brew this beast. Now I have the sorrow of only 12 bottles left of what has become one of the best beers I've ever made. Anyone else have this problem? Now that I've started kegging, if I keg this how will I be able to hold off trying this for over a year?

Give the keg to someone who doesn't drink beer and tell them to hide it in their basement for a year. That should lessen the temptation. I just tapped a keg of breakfast stout I had aging for 6 months, and that was unbelievably difficult to walk by every day for months and not sample, but I managed to wait. Patience, and a good hiding spot, always pays off.

I suppose I could put it in the storage closet in the parking garage, there's a lot of temp fluctuation there thought, ~80 in the summer and ~40 in the winter.

Back