8 Weeks in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
So, I'm beginning to think if this is healthy at this point... 8 weeks seems long. I just don't want to keg these without being able to force carb @ serving temp... for which I need a kegerator... and I've been working on that. So far, nada.

Put three brews into primary on 11/7/09.

Pumpkin Ale
Newcastle Clone
Oatmeal Vanilla Stout

I put these three beasts into secondary around 12/7/09 I do think... so... we're going on 8 weeks in secondary.

Pumpkin Ale got extra cans of pumpkin in secondary. Looking good from what I can tell without touching it.

Oatmeal Stout got 2 vanilla beans in it... also looks good.

Newcastle clone has... floaties. I can't tell if it's just residual stuff that wasnt strained out or it's bacterial growth. I'm likely overthinking this... but with having it in secondary for 8 weeks... I'm concerned.

Otherwise... these brews looks beautiful.. and clear!

Thoughts?

I would say bottle the newcastle clone. That's not a strong enough ABV beer to stand up to long aging times. The other two should be fine. But...if you put them in secondary on 12/7, then they've only been in secondary for 5 weeks going on 6.

So, upon further examination, this "material" still looks to be here.

Is there a way to test this and make sure it's okay?

Questionable growth forming on 2 of the 3 secondaries. Top layer of it only as it seems. Surprisingly, the two I wouldn't expect stuff to grown on... the Pumpkin Ale with the hardy amount of canned pumpkin in secondary seems fine.

They should be fine.

Sample a bit.

The unusual "floaties" on the top are simple residual CO2 clusters. They can look menacing and like they don't belong...but they're normal.

Back