Taking Hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonzailopper

Reaction score
Ok, I've just put my first ever batch into my Primary Fermenter two nights ago. I took an initial gravity reading and it seemed like it was right on for what the kit called for. But now that I have the beer fermenting I'm feeling a little angst over how to take another reading. The air lock bubbles no more than once or twice every ten minutes or so. I want to take a reading just to see where I'm at even though it seems much too soon for fermentation to be done (I pitched yeast this past Monday at midnight). I'm sure it's a stupid question, but is it ok to open the lid at this point? And if so, am I supposed to just drop the Hydrometer in, or take a sample out and do it separately? It seems silly to me typing it out like this, I just wanted to get some feedback. thanks!:tank:

I would wait til it was between 7-10 days before even bothering...the beer is fermenting fine, so there's no point in openning it..You only now need to know when the beeer is finished if you decide to secondary (and I usually don;t do that til the 14th day anyway)

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitizer.

2) remove lid

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

7) drop hydrometer in sample jar and take reading

8)drink sample

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again.

Probably less if you have help.

It's easy peasy!!! :mug:

Wow, thanks for the quick response. I didn't even think of the turkey baster. Will definitely be doing it that way. thanks Revvy!

Oh, and I like the "drink sample" step. I can't wait for that step.:D

Back