My ferm chamber is now a kegerator, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
I recently converted my garage fridge to a kegerator, yes! But the garage fridge was what I used previously for controlling my fermentation temps. :(

So here's my dilemma. I've got 2 or 3 kegs that I want to cool down to an acceptable drinking range (40-45) or possibly lower, but there is still a carboy in there which was brewed September 4, (2 weeks ago).

Will I be better off keeping that carboy in the fridge with the rest of the beer at serving temperature, or should I take it out and let it sit in the house, which is kept in the mid to upper 70's? Keep in mind it is no longer actively fermenting.

If the suggestion is to leave it in the fridge, can anyone suggest a temperature that will be good for both the fermenting/conditioning beer, and the beer that I want to drink?

Thanks!

Might want to just get another fridge. One for fermentation chamber and another for a kegerator. That's what I have.

If it's done fermenting, take it out and bring it in to your house, placing it in an interior closet. Now that the majority of fermentation is done bringing the beer/yeast up to a warmer temp will not hurt your beer, in fact it could help the beer. By bringing it up in temperature you will increase the yeast activity, causing them to start to scavenging for food. When the yeast are scavenging they will absorb many compounds such as diacetyl, and consume dead and dying yeast that can contribute to off flavors. Just try to keep the temperature swings to a minimum.

Back