Experienced growers, please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickwin

Reaction score
I have a couple questions regarding some first year cascade and nugget hop bines I am growing this year. First question is, what should I do if the two main bines that a rhizome puts out are exactly the same size? Should I cut one back or train them both on the same twine? I am using a tent pole set up, so I only have one twine going to each rhizome. Similarly if I have a rhizome that put out one main bine (6 ft tall now) and is now putting out some smaller bines, should I train those new bines around the same twine as the main one or just trip them back?

My other question is regarding some spindly cascade bines. 2 of my four cascade bines (less than a foot tall) are growing very thin and weak and cant even support there own weight. Is this common, and do you have any idea what the problem may be?

It's a good idea to have 2-3 bines per plant and they can go on the same twine.

First year bines depend a great deal on the quality of the rhizome. I replaced one of my plants this year and the bines are like threads.

Just let everything go, train everything, spindly this year doesn't mean spindly next year
RDWHAHB

Just let everything go, train everything, spindly this year doesn't mean spindly next year
RDWHAHB

+1, the first year is so sketchy on what will make it, what won't, and what will get eaten/damaged that you want to let it all go. More roots should be made this way as well! More roots this year=more hops next year.

Back