Lid Blew Off Fermenter. Now What?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangine77

Reaction score
So I went to check on by brew this morning and the lid had blown right off the fermenter. I can't believe that it can get that powerful. So I set the lid back on top ( I didn't seal it, just set it on top and put a container of laundry detergent on top to hold it down).

Is there a big risk of contamination because the fermenter sat over night without a lid on it?? What should I do from here?

What should I do from here?

1. RDWHAHB.
2. Clean up the mess.
3. Reseal the lid and airlock when the vigorous growth phase has subsided.
4. Use a blow off tube next time.

The CO2 is offgassing, so it's not likely it's infected. Did you at least sanitize the lid before you put it back on there?

That is so cool. I swear I'm the only one on here that has never had that happen.

Its happened to me too with a blueberry wheat. I went a little crazy with the blueberries, and I have to help my previous landlord, who I work with, paint the mess. It was pretty wild. I feel it was a huge rite of passage to have a lid blow. :rockin:

NORTHERN BREWER: Siphoning Equipment

this stuff fits most carboys - you jam it in the neck.
I used to use this, but it's stiff and thick...(ok guys, no snide remarks)

What I use now is the regular stopper for the carboy, with a 1/2 pex nipple jammed over the center section, and a large 1/2" tubing for my blow offs.

NORTHERN BREWER: Fermenters and Accessories ---universal Carboy Bung at the bottom, and
http://www.pexsupply.com/img/productImages/Wirsbo ProPEX Brass Sweat Adapters.jpg

easier to wash, cheaper to discard, stopper and brass fitting still in use.

shhhhh... Never, ever, mention that you haven't experienced a fermentor volcano. The yeast gods are listening, and they are vengeful!

Back