what beer to buy in pa.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys I really appreciate the replies! With the hours we arre working and the demand on us I probably won't be able to score any of these regional brews :( but I did get a chance to try a yuengling or 8 on draft draft tonight at the local applebees and surprisingly to me it is a lot different than it is in NC! Can anyone explain this? In NC it is a lil sweet for my liking but it was smooth and a lil more malty here...if by chance any of you are around Quakertown we usually dispatch out of the Milford fire dept and I'd gladly pay for some regional brews or homebrew!

Victory prima pils is the best commercial pilsner made hands down. If you find one better please let me no.

Guys I really appreciate the replies! With the hours we arre working and the demand on us I probably won't be able to score any of these regional brews :( but I did get a chance to try a yuengling or 8 on draft draft tonight at the local applebees and surprisingly to me it is a lot different than it is in NC! Can anyone explain this? In NC it is a lil sweet for my liking but it was smooth and a lil more malty here...if by chance any of you are around Quakertown we usually dispatch out of the Milford fire dept and I'd gladly pay for some regional brews or homebrew!

Your lager in NC most likely comes from the Tampa brewery.

Small world......I'm in Fleetwood,PA about 25 mins from A-town. Oldest son lives in A-Town. My mom was born and raised on a tobacco farm in Mt Airy, and my aunt in NC just said they sent guys from Duke electric up this way.

Anyway....all the suggestions are good ones. Victory Golden Monkey is a good brew if you want to pass out quick after a long day (10%ish).
Troegs is also a great choice.

If you end up down in the Oley area there is a good place called Union Jacks Inn on the Manatawny that has a ton of different beers (500 or so). Not a brewpub, but you can try almost all the ones mentioned here.

dfess1 said:
Troegs is my favorite PA brewery. Sly fox a close second. DO NOT waste your money on the yards "Beers of the revolution" case. You will NOT be able to choke down/give away the spruce tip beer. The tavern porter is ok. However, Yards "Cape of Good Hope", "brawler", and their mixed case in general is pretty solid. That all said, you are very close to Shangy's in Emmeaus. GO THERE, NOW. regardless of whether it's local or not, they will have stuff I guarantee you cannot get at home. Take your checkbook.

And thank you so much for helping this area out. I only wish the guys from NC that restored power in my neighborhood (late last night mind you) would have accepted my homebrew!

Definitely Shangy's in Emmaus. The staff is great help. Very close to where you are.
Also grab a bite at Trapp Door. Great beer selection.
4226 Chestnut Street, Emmaus

Take 78 east to Easton for Weyerbacher... 78 west down 81s and ull run into the Hershey/Harrisburg area. Troegs is right next to Hershey Park. Take 78 west to route 61 north to pottsville and go to the yuengling brewery. def worth the trip. Take 476 north and get off at exit 105 and ur in WB. Stegmaier is in WB and Susquehanna Brewing Co is a few miles away in Pittston.

Yep....it was all Duke trucks that got my power back yesterday.....Thank all the guys for me.

whitehause said:
Yep....it was all Duke trucks that got my power back yesterday.....Thank all the guys for me.

I'm actually in the yellow "pike" trucks...we're a contractor for duke energy but a lot of the duke guys came up as well...glad to here they got you on!

Your lager in NC most likely comes from the Tampa brewery.

I took the tour there a few years ago and someone said the same thing, about it tasting differently. The natural water source up here provides for different water types. I can't remember if its harder or softer but one of the brewers in the building was talking to a small group of us after and said there is a difference.

I can't believe no one told you to stop at abes in bethlehem yet! Open late and has a great selection of take out, also can buy singles and six packs. Maybe check out the spinnerstown hotel also, i think they reopened today.

Saw your Dorney Park set up on the news a few days ago. Hope you enjoy your visit to my state (that's right it's MINE)

Just a few miles away from Dorney is Emmaus. There's a beer distributor there called Shangy's. It has an obscene selection of beer. However, you have to buy them by the case. Wegman's and Abe's (1301 W Broad St, Bethlehem, PA 18018). He has a very good selection of beer (international and domestic). Wegman's in Allentown has a cooler that is dedicated just to PA breweries (Weyebacher, Yard's, Troeg's, Victory, Lancaster Brewing) and they are open 24hrs (not sure if you can buy beer 24hrs a day though.

Forgot to add my thanks for coming up and helping. I'm sure you've repaired one of the numerous downed lines that provide power to someone in my family.

Never tried troegs. I like to get a couple bombers of each of their beers and some victory...I get the prima pils a lot so I don't need that. I'd also be down with getting a bomber of Pliny if they have it and maybe a couple of the local breweries best...that is if I can get there or meet someone @ dorney. I'm usually there by 9:30. PM if interested...

Thanks to all who have replied it has been a pleasure communicating in this thread! I scored some really interesting brews thanks to sithdad...he took time away from his evening to pick me up, take me to wegmans, and bring me back! He may not have known how long it would take me to make up my mind...or else he may have not replied. All kidding aside I really appreciate the kind gesture and look forward to drinking these at my beer tasting party when I get home...I will list my beers tomorrow for thoughts from those who have tried them.

Just a few miles away from Dorney is Emmaus. There's a beer distributor there called Shangy's. It has an obscene selection of beer.

Forgot to add my thanks for coming up and helping. I'm sure you've repaired one of the numerous downed lines that provide power to someone in my family.

My neighbor, who used to live up that way keeps telling me to go to Shangy's. I may give it a go now.

+1000 on the thanks for the help too. My neighborhood was very fortunate to come through relatively unscathed, but I have friends and family who are still without power tonight.
Oh, and I hope you really enjoy the PA beer!

Since Troegs and Victory we're the most suggested I got mostly them....what ya'll think?

ForumRunner_20121105_070001.jpg

ForumRunner_20121105_070038.jpg

ForumRunner_20121105_070103.jpg

I don't know if you're going to still be in the area on tuesday the 6th, we have our homebrew club meeting and you'd be more than welcome to come out.

Stop into Victory on your way back south. Lots of good choices. Troeggs is good too but ya gotta go west. Could always hit yuengling just for the nostalgia of it all.

oldbucket said:
Stop into Victory on your way back south. Lots of good choices. Troeggs is good too but ya gotta go west. Could always hit yuengling just for the nostalgia of it all.

We can't usually stop at many places....especially breweries. I do like yuengling up here and can't stand it in NC! Probably headed north before we head south....may start a what beer to buy in _____ thread then. This has been nice

We can't usually stop at many places....especially breweries. I do like yuengling up here and can't stand it in NC! Probably headed north before we head south....may start a what beer to buy in _____ thread then. This has been nice

If you make it to NY i would grab some firestone walker, sixpoint, blue point, captian lawrence. not sure what you have available down there.

Mad elf, Double Simcoe, Hopback and Dreamweaver are really good choices!
Cheers!

I'm wilkes-barre now, near Pocono Mtns...looking for a brew store b/c we're setting in walmart parking lot waiting on a destination....have time to shop a lil but can't travel far...any suggestions?

Small world......I'm in Fleetwood,PA about 25 mins from A-town. Oldest son lives in A-Town. My mom was born and raised on a tobacco farm in Mt Airy, and my aunt in NC just said they sent guys from Duke electric up this way.

Anyway....all the suggestions are good ones. Victory Golden Monkey is a good brew if you want to pass out quick after a long day (10%ish).
Troegs is also a great choice.

If you end up down in the Oley area there is a good place called Union Jacks Inn on the Manatawny that has a ton of different beers (500 or so). Not a brewpub, but you can try almost all the ones mentioned here.

+1 to Union Jacks! Love it there.

You are about 10 minutes away from The Brew Works in Allentown and maybe 15 from the one in Bethlehem. (thebrewworks dot com) Rude Elf went on tap this past week, very good double IPA

You are about 10 minutes away from The Brew Works in Allentown and maybe 15 from the one in Bethlehem. (thebrewworks dot com) Rude Elf went on tap this past week, very good double IPA

I think Rude Elf is actually considered a "Belgian Dark Strong Ale" is it not?

Latest posts

Back