First time fermentation chamber brew and using a large blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
I just got my fermentation chamber (GE 7cu foot freezer with Johnson temp controller) and put my barley wine in it over the weekend. I am using NB's neobritanica liquid yeast. Since this is a big beer and I have had overflow issues in the past I installed a 3/4" blowoff tube on the lid. I also set my temp to 66degrees which was the lowest recommended temp...supposidly it gives a cleaner finish. I also had a 2L starter.

After about 12 hours I openned the chamber and there was no bubble. I realize that there might not always be a bubble and that dosen't mean it's not fermenting. I think there might be a small gap where the grommet meets the 3/4" tube that's letting the CO2 out. I do smell strong CO2 off gases in the chamber so I am confident it's fermenting.

Anyone else have the no bubble when using a large diamiter blow off tube? Also I think the temp might be a little low so I pushed it up to 68degrees.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Bump, anyone else have this happen?

Try spraying around the blowoff tube with Starsan or something similar. If it begins actively bubbling, that's where your leak (or one of your leaks) is located. How exactly do you have the blowoff tube connected to the bucket lid? Is it clamped on? Is it stuffed into a hole in the lid?

Now that it's several days later, a hydrometer reading should be able to confirm that your gravity has started to drop.

I don't ferment in buckets. At this point, I'm using a 6.5-gallon Better Bottle for primary, with the orange top. I start with a blowoff tube, then move to an airlock a day or two after the krausen has fallen back down.

Good idea on spraying with starsan. I just used a 3/4" grommet, drilled out the smaller hole, and installed the hose in the grommet. I know it's fermenting cause the Co2 is overwhelming when I open the chamber. I take a reading in a few more days. Think I might have drilled the hole a little too big and the grommet has a gap.

Back