American IPA Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I entered this beer in the River City Roundup in Omaha and it won second place in the IPA category.

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :ban: :ban: :ban:

That's awesome. I think the yeast that iv'e been looking for is 051 California Ale V Yeast. Someone suggested that this was the origin of Bell's strain.

For those of you that bottle this, how long does it take to condition? I did a batch following the OP's exact recipe and its been in bottles for 3 weeks so far. I just sampled a couple and I'm getting very strong green apple aroma/taste which leads me to believe it needs more time. Just curious how long it takes for the rest of you...

I take my time and keg my batches after about a month and a half. I usually don't have much patience after that and drink as soon as it's carbed but it hits it's peak about a month after kegging.

I am planning on doing a partial mash of this recipe. I just got a new 8 gallon pot so I can finally do a full 5 gallon boil. This is what I was thinking about doing. I did not add the dextrin malt because I was using extract and I thought this might leave enough body/sweetness. Also added a little dextrose to try to counter some unfermentables in the extract.

3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 30.00 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.00 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 20.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
1.00 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.25 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 46.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (15 min) Hops 18.3 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (5 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (1 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
0.50 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.00 %

Measured Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.40 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.92 %
Bitterness: 73.5 IBU
Est Color: 7.1 SRM

I'm thinking about brewing this, but I don't have access to Bell's out here, so I don't have access either try it or culture the yeast.

From a comment someone made, one of my concerns is how dry/thin bodied it is, using 150 mash temp and having a somewhat healthy bittering for the malt. Also, the desired attenuation would seem to be pretty high.

Reading through this thread, I see Nottingham(which I have) and California Ale V (051), and plain California ale 001/US-05(also have) are possibilities. Is Nottingham a little too thin bodied/dry? I assume that means for US-05 as well. California Ale V(051) has attenuation lower than 001/US-05. So it would seem that doesn't get it down anywhere close to 1.010(like Bells yeast), but maybe a little more malty? Is Bells just a very dry, hoppy beer? And is any commercial yeast really at all close to Bells yeast?

Wow the version I did turned out awesome! Still needs some time to clear, but the flavor and aroma is outstanding!

Just moved this to the secondary after 3 weeks..... wow the hydro sample kicked arse... Thanks eschatz....never had the real thing but so far...I can tell this is gonna be a sweet IPA....Cheers!!!

Just moved this to the secondary after 3 weeks..... wow the hydro sample kicked arse... Thanks eschatz....never had the real thing but so far...I can tell this is gonna be a sweet IPA....Cheers!!!

Thanks! It's a great beer. I hope you like it! :mug:

Just put in 2oz of pellets for dry hop in my secondary......walked by an hour later....crap....the airlock has filled with crud and all down the shirt covering the carboy.... This was my first time dry hopping....is that normal?

what was your gravity @ 3 weeks? and at what temp did you ferment?

I ask because my clone is 2 weeks into primary (at 64-66F) and the krausen has JUST receded. I've never seen a yeast produce a krausen for that long. no lag either - It was bubbling within 12 hours of pitching. It's the first time I've used bell's yeast - I cultured a starter from the bell's amber. Has anyone else's done this? Is bell's yeast just slow? I just sampled it at ~1.020 (OG was 1.063). Hopefully it will get down some more, I know the OP says at least a month in primary but 10 points seems like a lot given that the primary has ended.

Got another second place finish with this one. This time it was the Queen of Beer competition. Also this beer has really brought my S/O around to IPAs. Thanks again eschantz.

I am planning on doing a partial mash of this recipe. I just got a new 8 gallon pot so I can finally do a full 5 gallon boil. This is what I was thinking about doing. I did not add the dextrin malt because I was using extract and I thought this might leave enough body/sweetness. Also added a little dextrose to try to counter some unfermentables in the extract.

3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 30.00 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.00 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 20.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
1.00 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.25 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 46.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (15 min) Hops 18.3 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (5 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [11.50 %] (1 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
0.50 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.00 %

Measured Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.40 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.92 %
Bitterness: 73.5 IBU
Est Color: 7.1 SRM

I just brewed this finally this evening. It was my first stovetop minimash and I tried to convert it myself. I had some difficulty getting my target temp on the mash though I hope i didnt go too high. I am hoping to hit 1.015. My SG was 1.063. It will probably be slightly darker than two hearted too but a small sample tasted pretty good. It was my first IPA and I used some 2009 whole hops from hopsdirect. Those things soak up wort like crazy.

what was your gravity @ 3 weeks? and at what temp did you ferment?

I ask because my clone is 2 weeks into primary (at 64-66F) and the krausen has JUST receded. I've never seen a yeast produce a krausen for that long. no lag either - It was bubbling within 12 hours of pitching. It's the first time I've used bell's yeast - I cultured a starter from the bell's amber. Has anyone else's done this? Is bell's yeast just slow? I just sampled it at ~1.020 (OG was 1.063). Hopefully it will get down some more, I know the OP says at least a month in primary but 10 points seems like a lot given that the primary has ended.

i was just impatient i guess...i racked into secondary for dry hopping after 3 weeks @ 64F and the SG was at 1.013. sample tasted awesome...can't wait to drink this!

I just brewed this finally this evening. It was my first stovetop minimash and I tried to convert it myself. I had some difficulty getting my target temp on the mash though I hope i didnt go too high. I am hoping to hit 1.015. My SG was 1.063. It will probably be slightly darker than two hearted too but a small sample tasted pretty good. It was my first IPA and I used some 2009 whole hops from hopsdirect. Those things soak up wort like crazy.

I just checked my gravity after 7 days and it was down to 1.014, which was pretty surprising to me. Anyone think it would be okay to dry hop in a couple days, let the hops sit for 7 days then bottle around next thursday? I was looking to have this ready the week after thanksgiving if possible. Or will an extra week before dry hopping really improve this?

Brewed this recipe a couple weeks ago for my third AG brew. I also managed to score Centennial leaf hops and just transferred to secondary to dry hop with one ounce. As far as I can tell so far this stuff really does look and smell like Two Hearted, can't wait to crack open the first bottle!

Went to LHBS to pick up ingredients today. I do not have an all-grain setup yet - so I grabbed one of the extract+grain recipes. I am unable to find it again - so I will repost below. I have a couple of questions. I plan to brew Saturday. Any help is very appreciated.

1) Given how DME comes in 3# bags, I plan to use 3# wheat and 12# extra light DME. Ideas on how this will impact the brew? Increased head retention - other ideas?
2) I tried to work up the IBU's using some calcs. I am not sure I'm coming up with the correct #'s. My hops are whole and 9.5AA. I'm having trouble calc'ing the dry hop IBU.
3) Suggestions on how to modify the recipe?
4) Why not steep grains at temp in the full volume of water for the brew? Notes below say to steep in 2 gallons.

Two Hearted Ale Clone
Partial Mash Recipe

Modified for 11 Gallon Batch (5+6 gallon carboys)
approx 12.65 boil (15% evap)
12 lbs extra light DME
3 lbs wheat DME
1.2 lbs Belgian Aromatic
1.2 lbs crystal 10

2.5 oz Centennial 60 min
1.5 oz Centennial 20 min
4.5 oz Centennial 5 min
1.5 oz Centennial dry hop

Nottingham

Steep the specialty grain in 2 gal cold tap water brought up to 155
and held for 30 min.

Remove grains, add dme and bring to a boil and follow the hop schedule
above. Add Irish Moss at 45 min.

Ferment at 70 degrees for 7 days and transfer to secondary. Add the dry
hops and secondary for another 10 - 14 days.

I'm about ready to start this. I only have a choice of two yeasts right now: S-04 (english ale yeast) and S-05 (Chico).

I usually like fairly neutral yeast flavor, but I don't know much about this beer and it seems it would be pretty dry with S-05, being fermented at low temps with a light colored grain bill. What do you all think? (No Bell's here to culture).

I would personally go with the S-05... it will get really dry, maybe up the mash temp a few degrees?

OTOH, I am brewing a batch of this right now (cooling as I type) and I am excited to try it again. Last time I got overzealous with the wrong brewing salts and it came out weird (completely my fault). Thankfully, I know what I am doing now and it should come out just fine.

I've always wondered about brewing with a different yeast vs. higher ferment temperature vs. maltier grains. I'm using a "pale" malt (3 SRM vs regular 2 SRM 2-row), so maybe that'd help move it in the same direction?

I brewed this and bottled it a little less than 3 weeks ago. I tried a bottle last night and the aroma and flavor seem nothing like two hearted. I am not really sure what happened but maybe it will get better in a few weeks. All my hops were fresh whole hops from hopsdirect.

yea, mine was a bit off too...

two-hearted is one of my favorite beers -- before dry-hopping, the sample was awesome and tasted very similar to the real thing, just with less aroma. i dry-hopped mine with 1 oz for 10 days (i meant to only do 5-7, but couldn't get around to kegging it). i think it was too much and/or too long because it seemed to pick up a sweet flavor during dry hopping. now that i'm looking for it, i actually do detect that same flavor in the real thing, but much, much less. or, maybe it's just in my head.

either way, it was still good and i'm definitely going to make it again. this time I think i might only do 0.5oz or 0.75oz and only for 5 days. my hops were also 2009 whole leaf from hopsdirect.

I brewed this and bottled it a little less than 3 weeks ago. I tried a bottle last night and the aroma and flavor seem nothing like two hearted. I am not really sure what happened but maybe it will get better in a few weeks. All my hops were fresh whole hops from hopsdirect.

I finally brewed a batch of this with some fresh hops as well. Those Centennial hops I used from Hopsdirect seemed a little "barnyard" smelling, but the wort tasted just perfect.

I used US-05, and went slightly higher on the IBU, so it'll probably finish a little dryer than most.....

I threw a party last week and served 3 gallons of this from a keg (I bottled the other two). The taste and color were pretty damn close. This was my first attempt at kegging and defenitely think I missed the mark on the amount of CO2 to force in and it ended up being a bit flat compared to the commercial brew. Overall though I was very pleased and am looking forward to the 2 gallons I bottled. I'm going to give them a few weeks to condition in the bottle so hopefully it'll be closer to the original.

Here is a pic we took;

JLPoKl.jpg

The home brew is the one on the right.

I'm about to attempt this But the hops I have from Hops direct are about 8-9% whereas the recipe calls for 10% AAU's How should I adjust the hop schedule?

11 lbs. American 2-row
2 lbs. American Vienna
0.5 lbs. Belgian Cara-Pils
0.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 20°L
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) boiled 15 min.
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) boiled 5 min.
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) boiled 1 min.
1 oz. Centennial (Whole, 10.00 %AA) used as dry hop.
1 pkg. Danstar Nottingham

Right now I have no software. So if you could run it through I would be greatly appreciative. My centennial are 8.7% AAU's

Right now I have no software. So if you could run it through I would be greatly appreciative. My centennial are 8.7% AAU's

No problem. Ran the recipe through Beersmith for a 5.5 gallon batch. 10.0% alpha would produce 50.2 IBU's. Adjusting the AA to 8.7% would require 1.26 ozs at the 60 minute mark, so basically add a quarter ounce and you should be pretty near spot on.

I brewed this with a friend on 11/3/09 and bottled it on 12/3/09. Only dry hopped for 3 days. We used Nottingham yeast (pitched a slurry from Ed's Pale Ale).

We put this up against Two Hearted last night. Amazingly close - almost couldn't tell the difference. Ours wasn't quite as clear, but the color was spot on. We thought that ours was a little smoother and we gave it the nod, but it was a slight win in our book. Either way, this is definitely an awesome recipe and we will be brewing this again in the spring.

but it was a slight win in our book.

There should be little to no "win" for either beer, it is a clone after all:D
I really cannot wait to try this. It will be my first all grain. I love Two hearted and all of my friends do too! I might end up with a lot of people begging for bottles.

Blew my keg last night. Thank god there's another five gallons going into the secondary to dryhop this afternoon.....Excellent brew.

I finally did a taste after 3.5 weeks in the primary and 1 week with 2 oz. of dry hop. No other mods except for US-05 yeast and Pale Ale Malt instead of regular 2-row. (Well, maybe my IBUs were a slightly higher.)

I never had Two Hearted, so don't know if it tastes the same or not, but who cares, it's very good!

Thanks for the recipe!

Rich:D

Back