gushing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yezzo

Reaction score
I know this has been posted before and it's usually over carbed, too much priming sugar etc.

I made a brown ale a while back and it turned out great, the carbonation was good, flavor good, just all good. But after about 4 months in the bottles they are pretty much exploding now when I open them, and they gush out for a few minutes. What could have caused this?

They taste fine, and they were perfect for about a month after bottling. I just had about a 12 pack left and now they all gush.

More than likely if the were fine for a good amount of time and after 4 months they are gushing, you picked up a gusher infection, they take awhile to manifest...

Or it's something to do with your storage...Did you chill them down for a week before cracking them...if not, give it a try, leave whatever you have left in the fridge for a week to see if the cold will absorb the excess Co2....

More than likely if the were fine for a good amount of time and after 4 months they are gushing, you picked up a gusher infection, they take awhile to manifest...

Or it's something to do with your storage...Did you chill them down for a week before cracking them...if not, give it a try, leave whatever you have left in the fridge for a week to see if the cold will absorb the excess Co2....

I had about 6 in the fridge for over 2 weeks, those foamed a lot but didn't gush. The warm ones were almost exploding when opened. What is a gusher infection and how does it develop?

I'll give you guy's some notes on this brew because this is really confusing me.

I left it in the primary for about a week extra (about 2 weeks total), I didn't have time to transfer it. It stayed in the secondary for about 1 1/2 weeks, so i'm pretty sure it was done fermenting.

It was a kit from williamson so the amount of priming sugar was what I was given with the kit. I mixed 2/1 (2 parts water to 1 part sugar) with water and boiled before adding the sugar.

The closet I keep it in changes temp alot. It's avg 100 degrees here so to save money we keep the AC at 80-85 during the day then at 68 at night.

Also, if I over filled them will it cause this? I wasn't consistant on the gap in the bottles. Some had more space than others, I picked up a spring loaded bottle filler for my last batch to hopefully be more accurate in bottling.

Also, if I over filled them will it cause this? I wasn't consistant on the gap in the bottles. Some had more space than others, I picked up a spring loaded bottle filler for my last batch to hopefully be more accurate in bottling.

Oh...then that PROBABLY is the likely cause of this...not a gusher infection. Especially if the beers taste fine...

Back