How to make a weldless ball valve for a mash/lauter tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
PIC_2234.jpg
PIC_2236.jpg
[/IMG]
PIC_2233.jpg
[/IMG]
PIC_2246.jpg
[/IMG]

Hey guys i hope this helps. I scaled down the directions i had from a 1/2 ball valve to a 1/4 ball valve. Everything i bought was for a 1/4 ball valve and a 5/16 hose adapt since thats what most of the surgical tubing is that we all use. Make sure you use a 1/2 drill bit though. You can get everything at lowes. The most expensive part was the 1/2 inch drill bit. I think it came out to be about 10 bucks per set up. Let me know if you all need additional help. I know the pics arent the best but i hope it gets the mission accomplished.

Thanks, I was just about to order one of these for my HLT.

Have you tried it out? Does it leak? Do the washers hold up to the heat?

You might want to use high temp " O " rings if it starts to leak

Thanks for the post.

I did put scalding hot water in it. No leaks. I dont think ill have a problem with the heat since i only use a rubber gasket on the inside. I did buy some liquid silicone for plumbing. If the rubber gasket doesnt work ill use that.

Many thanks for the photos of items (with item numbers, no less!!). I'll be working on this today!

Is that a stainless washer? I ask because if it isn't you might want it to be. Not much more for a stainless washer, but the rest looks like it would work great.

The washers I picked up were stainless. I had started to do this with a 1/2" ball valve, but there just weren't any stainless washers that had a large enough hole in the middle. This setup seems to be working just dandy!

Back