Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im still a little new to this. Isnt 150 a little cool to mash at? Why the lower temp??

So if I am after a more full bodied beer, then I would raise the temps?

Yep, that's the idea!

Approximate temps are 148*-151* for thin bodied, 152*-155* for medium, 156*-160* for full bodied. Any higher or lower than those ranges and you might find yourself with some efficiency problems.

This is just a rough explanation though. There are volumes written on mash temperatures...

So I tried something different with this recipe(at least different to me). I brewed it as a 20 minute boil hop-burst extract recipe. Less than 2 hours from start to finish! Here's what I did..

2.75 batch size

0.50# Carapils
0.25# C10
2.5# Pilsen Light DME
.25 Cent @ 20 min
.25 Cent @ 15 min
.25 Casc @ 10 min
.25 Casc @ 5 min
Pitched a packet of Nottingham straight into the fermenter

The OG ended up at 1.045 and the color seemed spot on to the last AG batch that I brewed. Hydro sample seemed spot on as well..

Should be interesting to see how this turns out after 2-3 primary and a couple weeks carbing in a keg. Will report back!

I brewed the all grain version 3 weeks ago but used bry 97 because i have had good luck with it in the past getting to a low final gravity,i missed my mash temp and ended up too cool at 147,was low on original gravity 1.038, and the final gravity came in way too low at 1.004 the hydro sample was dry, will report back in a few weeks to update.
Hope it turns out ok,only my 2nd all grain batch still trying to get a feel for my set up:mug:

Anyone have any tips on adding fruit to this beer? I have about 8 lbs of blueberries and I'm looking for something to do with them

I brewed a 5.5 gal batch of this a couple weeks ago. My mash efficiency was higher than expected and came in at 1.043 post boil. Having brewed this recipe several times with US-05 I wanted to try using a starter for the first time. I used 1056 with a 500ml starter. This thing went off like crazy and after it was all said and done it finished at 1.007. I am curious to taste the final product but this one may end up a bit too dry.

Going to be doing my first 5 gallon of this (and first fiver ever!!) tomorrow. Have done a couple 1 gallon testers so far that turned out lovely!

Now not kegging and wondering should I transfer to a secondary or bottle straight from the primary after a couple weeks?

Also no idea how much honey or sugar to use!

My lhbs didn't have notty on hand so I have some S-04 handy, anyone have any experience with it in this recipe? :)

Going to be doing my first 5 gallon of this (and first fiver ever!!) tomorrow. Have done a couple 1 gallon testers so far that turned out lovely!

Now not kegging and wondering should I transfer to a secondary or bottle straight from the primary after a couple weeks?

Also no idea how much honey or sugar to use!

My lhbs didn't have notty on hand so I have some S-04 handy, anyone have any experience with it in this recipe? :)

I wouldn't secondary - just bottle out of primary.
Here's a great site for figuring out how much honey or sugar (or many other fermentables) to use when bottle priming:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Just remember to use the final volume after transferring off the trub into the bottling bucket (I usually lose anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 gallon to trub, depending), not the original volume (5 gal, presumably) into the fermentor.

I just brewed 10 gallons of this winner. Split the brew into 2 different carboys and added different yeast to each.

White Labs 001, California Ale = Much more Malty. I tasted more hops too.

Wyeast 1056, American Ale = Cleaner, brighter, easier drinking.

YMMV.

I brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of this Monday, but I screwed up my hop additions. It'll be beer, but I really wanted to go by the original recipe. I was busy with two contractors and two kids at the house. It was a very busy morning. Right now fermentation is going crazy. It started at 61 degrees and is up to 66.

4 lb 2 row
6 oz cara pils
4 oz caramel crystal 10L
4 oz Vienna
7 g Centennial FWH
7 g Cascade (65 min)
7 g Centennial (35 min)
7 g Cascade (5 min)
5.5 g of rehydrated Notty
Mash @ 150 for 60 min (BIAB)
OG 1047

I'm thinking about brewing this again for a competition. Anybody got any clever names?

So far I've got:
Blonde Muncher
Centennial Bust
Bimbo Spectacle
South Denver Blonde

I'd like to retract my previous statement of this tasting like a BMC with more hop/malt character.

After this ages for about 3 weeks it is absolute deliciousness. The balance of this brew is just so spot-on, nice malt on the front and the hops just shine so brightly on the back end... I'm really impressed and will put this into regular rotation.

Just an awesome beer that EVERYONE loves... I haven't had one person say anything negative about it. Killed 5 gallons in a little over 2 weeks.

I have plenty of Maris Otter on hand and looking to make another batch of CB.. can't decide if I should omit the Vienna and C10 from the recipe if I were to use all MO as the base malt?

So I tried something different with this recipe(at least different to me). I brewed it as a 20 minute boil hop-burst extract recipe. Less than 2 hours from start to finish! Here's what I did..

2.75 batch size

0.50# Carapils
0.25# C10
2.5# Pilsen Light DME
.25 Cent @ 20 min
.25 Cent @ 15 min
.25 Casc @ 10 min
.25 Casc @ 5 min
Pitched a packet of Nottingham straight into the fermenter

The OG ended up at 1.045 and the color seemed spot on to the last AG batch that I brewed. Hydro sample seemed spot on as well..

Should be interesting to see how this turns out after 2-3 primary and a couple weeks carbing in a keg. Will report back!

OK so I wasn't sure if I liked this one as much when I first tapped it this weekend.. now after trying it again tonight.. wow this a great easy way to brew this beer. Definitely the CB that I remember brewing 30 gals of last year. Might have a slight bit more citrus hops presence, but I am all for it. The centennial/cascade mix is dynamite!

Anyone pressed for time I recommend experimenting with the short boil extract batch. Im going to keep adjusting the ingredients and times, but I'm expecting to be bumping this up to 5 gal batches fairly quickly.. I think the 2.5 gals is almost gone already.

:mug:

Whipped up another 10.5 gal of this. Went with a 90 minute mash, the last batch didn't attenuate quite as well as I'd of liked.

What the heck happened here!? I just went to check my gravity and this beer turned out super cloudy. The taste and aroma are spot on, but man this beer is ugly! Here's a comparison between the last time I brewed this, and the most recent time. I thought this brew was one of my most successful yet as far as hitting my numbers went.

Another note: I remember this beer looking just about as cloudy coming out of my plate chiller and into the fermentor. I hoped it'd clear up a bit, but it looks like it might be a lost cause :(

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

I brewed this on Monday.
Changed the grain bill a little.
8# 2 row
.5# Vienna
.25 Carapils
Preboil gravity was low so I threw in 1# of light DME last 15 minutes of the boil to bump it up.
Same hop schedule.
Us-05 @ 65 degrees.
Its a-bubblin away!

0226151227.jpg

Just finished up a snowy brew day with a 5 gallon all-grain batch of Centennial Blonde. Hit mash temp square on the nose at 150 and collected approximately 6.7 gallons of wort at 1.033 SG. Followed original brew schedule for a 60 minute boil and ended up collecting only 4.25 gallons of wort at 1.05 SG (a butt load of trub from the Whirlflock in the bottom of the kettle).

I topped up the fermentor with .75 gallons of purified water to reach an OG of 1.04. Transferred to fermentor and man this beer was light and clear, I could have read a newspaper through the hose when I was transferring. Pitched a package of US-05 and into the basement at 60 degrees to ferment for the next few weeks.

Can't believe I went from 6.7 gallons of wort pre-boil to collecting only 4.25 gallons. There must have been at least 1.5 gallons of trub in the bottom of the kettle that I sacrificed to the 4 ft snow bank at the end of my driveway. I have to admit, I winced a little when I poured it out. :mad:

Can't wait to put this one on tap and see if it is as good as everyone says.

I brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of this Monday, but I screwed up my hop additions. It'll be beer, but I really wanted to go by the original recipe. I was busy with two contractors and two kids at the house. It was a very busy morning. Right now fermentation is going crazy. It started at 61 degrees and is up to 66.

4 lb 2 row
6 oz cara pils
4 oz caramel crystal 10L
4 oz Vienna
7 g Centennial FWH
7 g Cascade (65 min)
7 g Centennial (35 min)
7 g Cascade (5 min)
5.5 g of rehydrated Notty
Mash @ 150 for 60 min (BIAB)
OG 1047

I bottled this today and got 21 12 oz bottles. The hydro sample tasted excellent, even though I didn't follow the original recipe like I wanted. FG was 1008. Can't wait to taste this one cold and carbed.

I have been making a few small batches of this over the last few months. Adjusting the finishing hop to citra, or amarillo, and in the final one added in double the quantity but using riwaka.
The riwaka one finished up wonderfully hoppy. Mashed high to keep the finishing gravity up and maintain a lower alcohol content. Managed to start at 1045 and still only go 4% alcohol.

Just finished up a snowy brew day with a 5 gallon all-grain batch of Centennial Blonde. Hit mash temp square on the nose at 150 and collected approximately 6.7 gallons of wort at 1.033 SG. Followed original brew schedule for a 60 minute boil and ended up collecting only 4.25 gallons of wort at 1.05 SG (a butt load of trub from the Whirlflock in the bottom of the kettle).

I topped up the fermentor with .75 gallons of purified water to reach an OG of 1.04. Transferred to fermentor and man this beer was light and clear, I could have read a newspaper through the hose when I was transferring. Pitched a package of US-05 and into the basement at 60 degrees to ferment for the next few weeks.

Can't believe I went from 6.7 gallons of wort pre-boil to collecting only 4.25 gallons. There must have been at least 1.5 gallons of trub in the bottom of the kettle that I sacrificed to the 4 ft snow bank at the end of my driveway. I have to admit, I winced a little when I poured it out. :mad:

Can't wait to put this one on tap and see if it is as good as everyone says.

Next time dump that 1 1/2 gallon into a separate fermenter and let it ferment out. You will be amazed at how much clear beer you can end up with. An extra 6 pack or so most times. :rockin:

Next time dump that 1 1/2 gallon into a separate fermenter and let it ferment out. You will be amazed at how much clear beer you can end up with. An extra 6 pack or so most times. :rockin:

Thanks, good idea. I recently picked up a few 3 gallon buckets. Sounds like I'm going to be drilling out one of the lids and setting it up as a small batch fermentor. :mug:

Picked up the grain bill today going to try my first 11g batch using this recipe. It seems proven good and it is a pretty cheap grain bill which is nice seeing ill be using my keggle mash tun for the first time since i got it months ago.

Questions: Are people just using 1 packet of yeast for both fermenters? I saw somewhere on one of the pages Bier said he rehydrates a pack at the start of the boil then splits it. That what everyone is doing?

Questions: Are people just using 1 packet of yeast for both fermenters? I saw somewhere on one of the pages Bier said he rehydrates a pack at the start of the boil then splits it. That what everyone is doing?
I've usually just re-pitched slurrys of whatever yeast I was using. Come to think of it I've never used a fresh yeast in this recipe. It's a low enough OG that one pack of dry yeast (rehydrated) should be plenty to do the job. Or if you're like me use 2 different yeast just to get a good side by side comparison. Happy brewing!

OK so I wasn't sure if I liked this one as much when I first tapped it this weekend.. now after trying it again tonight.. wow this a great easy way to brew this beer. Definitely the CB that I remember brewing 30 gals of last year. Might have a slight bit more citrus hops presence, but I am all for it. The centennial/cascade mix is dynamite!

Anyone pressed for time I recommend experimenting with the short boil extract batch. Im going to keep adjusting the ingredients and times, but I'm expecting to be bumping this up to 5 gal batches fairly quickly.. I think the 2.5 gals is almost gone already.

:mug:

Do you have more specific instructions/steps?

What the heck happened here!? I just went to check my gravity and this beer turned out super cloudy. The taste and aroma are spot on, but man this beer is ugly! Here's a comparison between the last time I brewed this, and the most recent time. I thought this brew was one of my most successful yet as far as hitting my numbers went.

Another note: I remember this beer looking just about as cloudy coming out of my plate chiller and into the fermentor. I hoped it'd clear up a bit, but it looks like it might be a lost cause :(

Cold crash couple of days then hit it with some gelatin for a week or so, maybe that will help out some

What the heck happened here!? I just went to check my gravity and this beer turned out super cloudy. The taste and aroma are spot on, but man this beer is ugly! Here's a comparison6 between the last time I brewed this, and the most recent time. I thought this brew was one of my most successful yet as far as hitting my numbers went.

Cold crash couple of days then hit it with some gelatin for a week or so, maybe that will help out some

What a disaster of a brew day... First 10g batch using a keggle mashtun for the first time. the false bottom was/is not flush with the bottom so got a stuck sparge that only full disassembly could fix... Took forever so who knows what the result will be. In the process I missed my volumes and wound up over correcting 10 hours laters stuff is mostly clean and the wort is in the fermentation chamber trying to get down the last few degrees. On a positive note it was a stellar day outside so it could have been worse.

Anyways Im still stuck on this single pack of yeast question. Do you rehydrate following the package directions 100ml per 11.5g and then spilt it or are people using more water? Im so used to bigger beers that i'm not trusting the process.

Jekeane:

I know that many would say that one pack of yeast is not enough for 10g, but Notingham a monster!

I use one pack for a 13 gallon batch!

If I split it, I rehydrate for the 15 minutes, stir and wait another 5, then gradually add filtered water to double the volume and slowly drop the temperature to that of the wort.

Of course a well oxygenated wort is also part of the package.

Tom

Added 2 x 30oz cans of mango pulp to this beer in the secondary for a week before kegging. The beer tasted good even flat. Can't wait to see how it turns out when it's carbed.

Jekeane:

I know that many would say that one pack of yeast is not enough for 10g, but Notingham a monster!

I use one pack for a 13 gallon batch!

If I split it, I rehydrate for the 15 minutes, stir and wait another 5, then gradually add filtered water to double the volume and slowly drop the temperature to that of the wort.

Of course a well oxygenated wort is also part of the package.

Tom

I split it after rehydrating however 24 hours later I still have no visible activity. Fermenter likely got down to 60-62 last night is that cold enough to stall out Nottingham?

Back