Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have brewed a couple beers using US-04 and found that both beers really lacked character. I think the only time I used Nottingham was for a cider that didn't turn out. It probably wasn't the yeast's fault. So I don't know the flavor of Nottingham yet.

I assume that you use Nottingham for a reason on this recipe, but seeing as this was originally posted back in 2009, do you still feel Nottingham is the preferred choice or do you have a new yeast favorite for this recipe?

Though Biermuncher is a master, I wouldn't hesitate to use US05, or any clean ale yeast.

I bottled a batch this morning, adding some apricot extract to 12 bottles.

I did this batch again and the first time was with notty @ 64* F. I did it again with Notty @ 60* F. First batch was good, second is even better. it was clean at 64 but cleaner at 60.

Just popped one of these after only 6 days in the bottle.

It was carbed up, with a nice head that stuck around until the glass was empty. It was also delicious. Can't wait to see what it's like with another week in the bottle.

Thanks for the recipe, Biermuncher! This one is a winner.

Brewed this exactly again for the first time in ages. Finished at 1.009 in 4 days. Sample is still quite cloudy but it has that great centennial blonde taste :) Looking forward to crashing and kegging early next week.

A quick answer would be appreciated since I'm brewing now, my mash is almost done and my sparge water is not yet up to temp. Would it be ok for this to mash longer than 60 minutes?

A quick answer would be appreciated since I'm brewing now, my mash is almost done and my sparge water is not yet up to temp. Would it be ok for this to mash longer than 60 minutes?

I believe mash time is to make sure the enzymes converted completely. Going over 60 I don't think would be a problem as it would just assure that everything converted.

I've gone over on my mash times and either I don't know enough or I haven't noticed anything wrong with it.

That's what I was thinking, as long as the temp is not to high tannins won't be drawn out even with a longer mash. I just wanted to make sure though. I am draining the wort from my mash nice and slow now to give my sparge water more time and prevent a stuck sparge and it should end up ok anyway. Thank you

Mash conversions can be complete in as little as 20 minutes, and generally the lower the temp, the longer. You are never in danger of longer mash times being longer unless you go over the 2 hour mark, then you can/might begin to develop off flavors. But its not common. Ive had brew days with many distractions due to taking kids to gymnastics or whatever, with 5-6 hour mashes and no problems. RDWHAHB!!

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Mash conversions can be complete in as little as 20 minutes, and generally the lower the temp, the longer. You are never in danger of longer mash times being longer unless you go over the 2 hour mark, then you can/might begin to develop off flavors. But its not common. Ive had brew days with many distractions due to taking kids to gymnastics or whatever, with 5-6 hour mashes and no problems. RDWHAHB!!

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Good to know. This is my 4th all grain and only my sixth batch total I learn something new everytime I brew. I appreciate the help.

Brewed w/a saison yeast, tried a bottle at 5 days then 10. Super clear, clean, mostly like I'd expect a blonde, but with a little saison twang / slightly spicy scent / crispness... Super drinkable, really like it!

I bought the stuff to make it last weekend with the intentions of taking it to 4th of July but didn't get it made until yesterday.

Brewed this as first AG batch few weeks ago for quick turn around summer beer. I added a whole lemon, put in processor until all mush and dumped it all in w/ 10 min left in boil. Quick ferment with US-05, after about 7 d's already at 1.008. Added 0.25oz cascade for lil dry hop and kegged up on day 14. Man, turned out to be an awesome but simple American ale. Really crisp, and the whole lemon really comes out just enough...noticeable but not overpowering at all. Awesome summer beer. Thanks Biermuncher!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404498324.187887.jpg

I've been adding 1 pound of honey malt to a 10 gallon batch for the last few batches. Very tasty! I'll make the non-honey one again next week. Both very good.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Made 2 batches of this and the keg doesnt last very long. Both times it was kicked within 2 weeks. had a bunch of people over on the 4th that drank it all up.

I've been adding 1 pound of honey malt to a 10 gallon batch for the last few batches. Very tasty! I'll make the non-honey one again next week. Both very good.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sounds pretty good! I might try this, this weekend. Got my new conical coming in today and I'm going to brew this again this weekend. Might up the 2-row just a bit as well...

I too finally got around to making this as an Independance day crowd pleaser..it was extremely well received by all!!

The attending BMCers actually abandoned their barley waters and stayed with the keg of blonde..

I even had one say it was the perfect breakfast beer because it tasted like light orange juice!

Thanks BierMuncher!!!

:ban:

I'm new to homebrewing and made the extract version of this for my second batch. I cold crashed in primary for 3 days before bottling. It's been 3.5 weeks now and the samples I've taken just don't seem to be carbed well, or they are carbed ok but just don't have any head or lacing which makes it seem more flat than it is. I think I'm out of patience and will just drink as-is. It's a good beer - nice hint of maltiness. I am now setup for all grain and will probably try again, though I think I'll skip cold crashing again until I can keg. I wouldn't have thought 3 days would remove that much active yeast, but this one just doesn't seem to be carbing fast enough to cold crash and bottle in a short grain-to-glass timeframe. Anyways, nothing wrong with the recipe, just this new brewer. I suppose it could be something else but my first batch had nice carbonation and head with less priming sugar.

D-Train, it doesn't. Where are you keeping the bottles? What temp?

Also, how did you add the sugar? To a bottling bucket?

I've lagered a beer at 35F for 2 months before bottling and it carbed up fine. Plenty of yeast are still floating.

What a great brew for a day like today. Last day of the work week. Find a clean 150 qt. Marine cooler which will be my new hi grav mash tun. Drink BM Centennial Blonde. Great day!
1405036187098.jpg

I let some fiends try my last batch of this and now my phone is blowing up! Lol great beer for summer fun..

This beer finished up at 1.004...threw an ounce of centennial into the keg for good measure. First time using gelatin/cold crash to clear, the yeast cake didnt budge and I was able to get almost all the liquid out and none of the sediment (US-05), which is a huge bonus.

I am entering this beer into the Dominion Cup next month, I hope I can get it carbed up right, because everything else has gone great with this beer so far! Trying 30# for 36 hours, then 10# for a week. Deadline is 8/1.

The third batch of this is fermenting right now. Anytime i ask what beer i should make and i'm out of this blonde ale, the answer is blonde ale.

Biermuncher you rock man! I just kegged 5 gallons of Centennial Blonde about a week ago, and just finished my carbing (36hr 30psi and a day of 11psi) of the Cream of the Crop. Both are excellent man! Thanks and Cheers!

and a plug for the Android app Wort Brewing Calculator, my All Grain brews above came in right on the money to Biermunchers specs....!

Each will make a slightly different brew. The Pale Malt is closer in flavor to a British malt, per MB's website. If you're buying from them, you can also go with Great Western 2-row, which is my standard base malt. I don't use Rahr personally.

I've used US05 several times for this and love the light flavor. It's accessible enough for BMC drinkers for sure.

I'm thinking of adding some orange zest (vodka tincture) to the secondary of my next batch for a great late summer beer.

Gonna brew this again as an easy quick turn around summer beer. Instead of my lemon, I'm thinking some fresh blueberries since in season...again, just enough to taste but not overwhelming. Thinking of maybe a cup of them in the food processor and toss it all in at 10 min left of boil.

Let us know how it works out. I put a touch of apricot in some of my last batch. I'll be tasting them soon.

Will do. I think you can't go wrong with any fruit of choice in this beer. Its so light and crisp that it brings out the flavor really easily. Last one I only used 3/4 of a lemon, processed into a "mush" and added and it was a perfect amt of lemon taste to final product. There is a brewery back home in VB that does a pineapple wheat beer, I may try that next in this beer too!

Overshot my OG to 1.044 BIAB this afternoon but after starter and a little topper I'm sure it will be fine!

I'm going to dry hop with .75oz Amarillo and orange tincture in the secondary.

Latest posts

Back