American Pale Ale Citra Pale Ale- Oddsides Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's below the 1 gallon mark. Would not think that would happen.
The new airlock is starting to do the same thing. If it continues, I may add a blow off tube.

At which point do you add the dry hops? FWIW, i will be bottling next Sunday.

I plan to let mine finish in the primary (about 10-14 days) then dryhop in the keg. For bottling I'd suggest you wait until you've reached FG. I'm given to understand that the fermentation process can strip hop oils. Then add the dry hops.

Do you just leave hops in the keg for the duration of the beer being in tap? Never dry hopped a kegged beer

Do you just leave hops in the keg for the duration of the beer being in tap? Never dry hopped a kegged beer

Yes. I put an ounce or two of whole leaf hops in a hops bag with a weight (such as a big SS ball bearing). Let everything come up to room temp for a couple of days to let the hop oils loose. Then cold crash/carb and serve when ready. The first couple of pulls from the tap will be cloudy but the flavor of the hops comes through very clearly. After a few pints the beer pulls as clear as it would with any other dry-hop procedure.

Fish the bag out when you clean out the keg. Its a procedure not too far removed from cask hopping done in many British beers. I think it works great.

Cheers!
:mug:

I plan to let mine finish in the primary (about 10-14 days) then dryhop in the keg. For bottling I'd suggest you wait until you've reached FG. I'm given to understand that the fermentation process can strip hop oils. Then add the dry hops.

Just added the drop hops. Did not take any gravity readings as this batch is only 1 gallon.

I brewed this up recently and tried it today out of the keg and fully carbed. It came out awesome! Will brew it again soon!

Took my first pull of the tap last night. It's tasting pretty green, and not so much citrus. We'll see how it progresses. I liked it better before the dry hop. I dry hopped with 1.5oz for 5 gallons

I'm vacationing in MI right now and just dot to try the Citra Pale Ale very delicious! This is going on my to brew list!

They just announced that they are gonna start canning and this is going to be one of the first brews to go into cans. I'm pumped.

They just announced that they are gonna start canning and this is going to be one of the first brews to go into cans. I'm pumped.

Nice! I wish I could get it here in OK, it's a truly tasty pale ale for sure! I liked the humalupalicious a lot too

Kegged mine yesterday. Hit all the numbers within .1 so figured that was acceptable. The flavor of the green beer was very good and the Citra flavor/aroma is very pleasing. I chose to dry-hop in the keg with 1 oz. whole leaf Citra. Will leave it at 70F for a day or two then chill and carb. Looking forward to the first tasting in another week or so.

Cheers!

Hi - what was the original efficiency of the Citra Pale ale recipe that gave you OG of 1.058? I assume around 70-72%?

Thanks

Just bottled. Aroma was fantastic. Had to take a little taste and the citrus and grapefruit notes are evident. Cant wait to give this one a try in two weeks.
Only thing was there was alot of hop debris floating so stuck the carboy in the freezer for 20 so all debris can drop.
Also had alot of krausen at the neck of the carboy. More than normal. Maybe it's because I used a harvested yeast slurry.

One week bottle condition and it's pretty dang good. Even my wife liked it. Definitely citrusy which I seem to like now but a little on the IBU weak side.
One question: is there another hop I can use that would compliment the Citra where I can add at the 45 min mark?

This is a great beer! Pulled a few pints Thursday and Friday and everyone who has tasted it here agrees it is an amazing beer.

My batch came in with OG 1.052 and FG at 1.012 yielding an ABV at 5.25%. I'm glad I chose to only use 1 oz. of whole leaf to dry-hop in the keg. The flavor/aroma comes through beautifully without being overwhelming. I also chose to use Magnum for bittering and believe that worked well too. Magnum adds the right amount of IBU's without doing much of anything to the finished flavor of the beer. Another week of carbonation/conditioning and this will be about perfect.

All-in-all I think this is a great beer and will remain on my short-list of recipes to do again.

Cheers!

Oddsides Citra Pale Ale.JPG

This is a great beer! Pulled a few pints Thursday and Friday and everyone who has tasted it here agrees it is an amazing beer.

My batch came in with OG 1.052 and FG at 1.012 yielding an ABV at 5.25%. I'm glad I chose to only use 1 oz. of whole leaf to dry-hop in the keg. The flavor/aroma comes through beautifully without being overwhelming. I also chose to use Magnum for bittering and believe that worked well too. Magnum adds the right amount of IBU's without doing much of anything to the finished flavor of the beer. Another week of carbonation/conditioning and this will be about perfect.

All-in-all I think this is a great beer and will remain on my short-list of recipes to do again.

Cheers!

How much magnum did you use and at which point? Did you keep all of the citra additions even with the addition of the magnum?

How much magnum did you use and at which point? Did you keep all of the citra additions even with the addition of the magnum?

I had some Magnum on hand and didn't see any sense in using the expensive Citra for a 60 min. bittering addition. Here's what I did:

0.5 oz Magnum - 60 min
1.0 oz Citra - 10 min.
0.5 oz. Citra - 5 min.
0.5 oz. Citra - 1 min.
1.5 oz. Citra - flameout - steeped 15 min. (whole leaf)
1.0 oz. Citra - 12 days - whole leaf @ kegging - steep 2 days @ 75F then chill and carb. Serve after approx. 7 days

IBU 35.8

Cheers!

Thinking about making this again except using Denny's Favorite and eliminating the first Citra addition and replace with .25 oz of Magnum at 60. I'll be doing a 3 gallon batch.

How do you think the the flavor will change with these additions?

Thinking about making this again except using Denny's Favorite and eliminating the first Citra addition and replace with .25 oz of Magnum at 60. I'll be doing a 3 gallon batch.

Can't address the change in yeast since I've no experience with that strain. But, IMO, the change in hops should make very little difference. Magnum is very neutral and will add the IBUs with virtually no impact on flavor.

I've done a pale ale with Denny's favorite (not this recipe but similar) and it was awesome. Definitely give it a shot.

Brewed my second batch on Saturday (3 gal). Only change was I used Denny's Fav. Within 8 hrs it's rocking. Only thing is the color is lighter than the first batch. Hoping it darkens up a bit once fermentation slows.

So much - exactly what I was looking to do! Have been doing heavier bodied ales of no specific type most of the year. But, I did this one before I found this thread and recipie...very close to what I brewed yesterday 11/01/15. Including the heavy Citra with an off ryhthm hop schedule. Yesterday - I did do a 45 min 1oz of Simecoe...yes, bitter please. IBU is 55. This 6-gal batch - in 2 carboys - is very active and smells very nice! Cannot wait to sample. I am going to load this specific recipie into Brewtarget for my next brew - will happen in a week or so. (EDIT: Nope!...went for a Mosaic / Cascade / Citra variation this time)

11/19
It is bottled. I understand now about the catty aspects of Citra - as I did a couple of hydrometer readings along the way and it was quite strong, but, at bottle time the catty has mellowed and I really like this.
Citra overwhelms a green beer, but started to mellow in mine at day 18.

11/29
Ten days in the bottle and all has mellowed. Catty aspects are all gone. This is a very nice beer that I will adjust a bit and run again soon. I have just ran a variation of the Aberdeen Brown (Newcastle clone) - so in (2) weeks...another shot!

Going to modify batch 2 of this - I would like it a touch lighter in color and body - and I DO mean just a touch.
This is my favorite that I have made....just like all the rest before...:)

Thanks for the knowledge
Winzlow

Going to be brewing this for my next brewday. Recipe seems similar to Kona big wave golden ale. Just have to find some flaked wheat (is toasted flaked wheat the same??). Alternatively I can get carapils or carafoam. What would subbing those into this recipe do to the flavour profile?

Brewed this up with a couple friends, it was our first batch (ever) and we were very impressed with the results! Not sure why I didn't post in here sooner (thought I had) but we've only got one bottle left now! Sampled a couple of bottles at a homebrew meeting, was only our second ever meeting and at the first meeting we had yet to brew anything. The crew there couldn't believe it was my first batch and everyone clapped! Ha, it was pretty unreal. Anyway, everyone has loved the aroma so far. We actually used a little Belgian yeast from our local brewery (Townsite Brewing) that my friend (the brewmaster there) pulled right out of a fermenter into a jar for us. He couldn't believe it was that yeast that was used (the homebrew meetings are hosted at his brewery).

Anyway, I have lots of citra on hand so we will definitely be doing this again. Photo with the 3 sample glasses is our first ever tasting, we were pretty giddy.

Beer.jpg

Beer2.jpg

Note. - I have flaked barley (.5 lb) that I could sub instead of flaked wheat......??

DrewinPR - fellow BRitish Columbian here. Funny coincidence. I wish they had homebrew club meeting at the local craft brewery here! There isn't even a homebrew club in Kamloops yet!

I hope to brew this within the next two weeks. I'll post my experience, recipe tweaks (if any) and photos of the results when done.

DrewinPR - fellow BRitish Columbian here. Funny coincidence. I wish they had homebrew club meeting at the local craft brewery here! There isn't even a homebrew club in Kamloops yet!

I hope to brew this within the next two weeks. I'll post my experience, recipe tweaks (if any) and photos of the results when done.
Small world! You should talk to the guys at Red Collar and see if you can get anything going. I just joined the executive at the local CAMRA chapter, they were sort of behind kick starting our local homebrew club. We've only had a couple of meetings so far. There's a CAMRA south okanagan but they may not do much in Kamloops I guess.

Any opinions on subbing flaked barley for the flaked wheat? Or could I just leave it out entirely? methinks it won't change the flavour of the beer at all (flaked wheat is for head retention and mouthfeel?!?)

Ok I got me some flaked wheat. Brew day this week - maybe tomorrow. I'll post pics and an update of the day when it happens. Grain is all measured out. Can't wait!

Starting a 10G brew tonight. I'm also doing an exbeeriment on my oxygenation source as I am suspicious that the O2 welding tank that I picked up is the source of a ruined batch last time. I'll post a big update of the brew night tomorrow.

This is a little late but I have subbed torrified wheat for flaked wheat.
This is one of my favorite brews. Keep us posted how it turns out.

Back