just racked into secondary yesterday...annnddd

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erollinc

Reaction score
it seemed to me after a week in the primary the fermentation stopped after 2 or 3 days... and was never really bubbling at a rapid pace..... racked into the secondary on day 7 and check on it this morning and its fermenting its ass off! the head is not near the airlock so i dont think i need to worry about it going over ( but there seems to be debris in the airlock maybe this happened over night) but its definatly bubbling once or twice every second...... is this normal for an american wheat to have more action in the secondary??

sure...some of your yeast went dormant and when you moved to secondary, you mixed up alot of it and got it back into suspension and it went back to work. was there any big variances in temperature the first week of fermentation?

btw, that head is the "krausen" (kroy-sen) ;)

i definatly may have introduced the yeast when the wort was still a lil high in temperature.... 90-95 deg? ..... thats probably why .... other than that the temp has been 70 deg stable since then

preciate it death..... do you think the beer will turn out decent still?

No worries, bro. The beer is fine. Sometimes the yeast get awoken when you stir it (like racking into secondary). You still get the benefits of the secondary becasue you left all the crap behind in the primary. It will bubble a little then stop. The hard part is waiting the 2 weeks letting it sit in the secondary before bottling. RDWHAHB...because you are good to go!

You didn't taste it when you racked?

Might taste slightly hot alcohol or fruity because of the heat, but might not.
RDWHAHB.

It's be among your best... at this [beginners] point right?

arrr ye mateeyyy tis the first evar batch, it be the best yet arrrr lol

yea its the first time around for me but i plan on going to the store tommorow to buy another carboy and ingredients for an IPA!!! .... i need to have alot of beer on deck so i can be more patient with my brewing i think i went and looked at my beer like 5 times today....

:mug:

oh no i didnt taste it.... should i have?? would it be ok if i got a straw and just took a slurrrp out of the carboy ? haha

Taste when ever you rack or before bottling.
You're already taking the slight risk when racking, so you might as well take advantage of the opportunity. As you progress, you'll want to take a sample for a hydrometer reading. The sample cannot go back (or you'll risk contamination), so drink up.

it'll be fine.

and, yeah: sample, take a reading and drink up when you transfer or bottle...you'll see how it's coming along! don't worry if it tastes a little funny...without carbonation beer doesn't taste quite the same. you'll get used to it as you brew more and you'll be able to see how it's developing

glad to hear you're getting into it! brew lots and have patience...it'll make for some much better beer

:mug:

:mug: Get yourself one of those big tubs to put your fermenter in with water and towel/tee shirt wrapped around. the temps have been 90 to 95 here and so I've been putting frozen water bottles in every 8 hours or so. This will keep your temps. in range:mug:

Before you do that again take a hydrometer reading.

As you may or may not have already deduced...your brew was not done fermenting before you racked.

Since you only mentioned 7 days I think I can safely assume that.

Any way, take a reading before racking...if it's not ready then you just wasted time racking...then again you'll probably bottle early also and cause yourself more problems.

Back