help newbie cider making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muttsnutts

Reaction score
hi all newbie here, can i have some advise please, i have just made some local hard cider, i have aquired a 50gal oak barrel to store the cider in, I have hand collected the apples from a local orchard and had them pressd and the jucie put in the barrel. (all 50gal of it :mug: )I know that usualy this type of cider comes out quite dry, as i dont really like a really dry cider I would like it to be a bit sweet, is there any simple method i could do this, eg by adding brown sugar or somting along thoes lines, any help would be greatfull. thanks.

I'm no expert (just did my first batch last night) but I think you'll need to back sweeten the cider or stop fermentation before it's complete (the latter being more difficult - especially with the volume you're working with). Look for a sweetener that is non-fermentable. This thread has some information you might find useful:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/non-fermentable-sweetener-305530/

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back