Belgian Leffe Brune Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzeux

Reaction score
Anyone tried to brew a Leffe brune (brown) clone? I found some recipes on the forum, but not any comment... This brown Abbey beer is so good!!!:mug: Here's what I found:

I found this on the web cannot say how accurate it is:

Leffe Brun Clone

9½ lbs. Belgian Pils malt
8 oz. Flaked wheat
4 oz. Flaked barley
4 oz. Aromatic
4 oz. Biscuit
4 oz. Chocolate
2 oz. Honey Malt
4 oz. Munich Malt
390 ppg for grains
8 oz. Dark Candi Sugar
2 oz. Malto Dextrine
1 oz. Pride of Ringwood hops
½ oz. Styrian Goldings after 45 minutes
OG for 5.5 Gallons: 1.070
Week long primary fermentation, then racked to two week secondary primed with 1-1/8 cup dark DME
FG comes out to: 1.015

The one I got from AHS goes as follows:

5.5g Batch

11.5 lbs Belgian Pils
.5 lbs aromatic
.25 lbs Biscuit
.25 lbs Munich Light
.25 lbs Chocolate
.25 lbs Maltodextrine
.13 lbs Honey
.5 lbs Dry Candi (amber)

1 ounce Brewer's Gold 60min
.5 once Styrian Goldings 15min

Mash 151 F

Wyeast 1762

I don't have experience in all grain yet, but I really like this beer (the real one). :D I will complete my new rig in one or 2 weeks and I think I will try this one... Which recipe do you think is more accurate? If I try the first recipe (Brew-boy's one) and keg it, do I have to adjust the recipe since I will not add dark DME? Am I aiming too high for a first all grain?? Be free to comment.

Really want to give a Brun clone a go (cant believe you can not get this great beer in the States)

Anyone had any experience with the above recipe?

Here is one from another thread:
8 oz. Flaked wheat
4 oz. Flaked barley
4 oz. Aromatic
4 oz. Biscuit
4 oz. Chocolate
2 oz. Honey Malt
4 oz. Munich Malt
390 ppg for grains
8 oz. Dark Candi Sugar
2 oz. Malto Dextrine
Week long primary fermentation, then racked to two week secondary primed with 1-1/8 cup dark DME

OG is pretty high, is Brune that strong?

Leffe Brune is in the States. I get it in PA, one of the worst states for getting beer...in fact I just picked some up today. To the ABV question, it's 6.5%.

I get the brune in the states (here in west-central Florida, I've found it at my local Publix grocery store) -excellent beer, hoping to find a good clone of it -be nice to have it available on tap. Have not yet seen the blonde available (though I haven't tried too hard, either).

I see the candi sugar in the recipe -I've never tried brewing with that before. When does it get added? As for the one with the honey, when would THAT get added? Only time I've messed around with honey, was when I've added it within the last five minutes (or even at flameout) as I was trying to capture a bit more of the honey taste for the lager).

cyclogenesis said:
Here is one from another thread:
8 oz. Flaked wheat
4 oz. Flaked barley
4 oz. Aromatic
4 oz. Biscuit
4 oz. Chocolate
2 oz. Honey Malt
4 oz. Munich Malt
390 ppg for grains
8 oz. Dark Candi Sugar
2 oz. Malto Dextrine

OG is pretty high, is Brune that strong?

How did this come out?

I just had two glasses of the genuine article last night, and it was fantastic beer.

Back