grape tannin question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS98M

Reaction score
Just tryed some of my plum wine that I made last fall-drank a Grolsch bottle of the stuff and man-What UMPH !! This stuff rocks..... I gotta check but I think the ABV is up near 14%. The flavor is as expected-a little dry,I think I used a Champagne yeast(my bad...??) I do notice a very heavy tannin flavor-recipe did call for what I thought was alot but used it anyway-I believe over a tablespoon/25 # plums.I have six gallons ready to bottle-the Glolsch bottles were used for the excess at racking to secondary-Here's my dilemma---
What can I use to get rid of some of the tannin flavor ? Is there any thing that can be done ? I've got six gallons to bottle and hoping that this batch isn't trash....
Thanks. Shane

The tannins will fade and mellow with time. Just bottle it and wait a year or two. Another option is to add gelatin to bind with the tannins and pull some of them out of suspension. In the long run time works the best.

The only thing that can really mellow tannins is time, as the previous poster said. I think the last wine I added tannin to, I added 1/8 tsp. It should be used sparingly, because it will give the wine quite a "bite". Next time, add a tiny bit at a time and wait a few hours and taste it. You can always add more, but you can't take it out once it's in there!

That plum wine sounds awesome!

Latest posts

Back