pilzen isues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltbarleyhops

Reaction score
i have brewed this pilzen 3 times. after 1 week of great fermentation. my beer is still very milky looking.

im baffled by this. probably 12 days from today it goes into lagering.

any ideas to what is going on?

Without details how can anyone help? Recipe, yeast, fermentation temps, etc.

11# pilzen malt
2 oz carapils

2 oz german traditon
2 oz hersbrucker

saflager s 23

holding about 54 f.

im patient, but it looks cloudy like a yeast starter. and has cleared at all in a week.

ill post a grav later

11# pilzen malt
2 oz carapils

2 oz german traditon
2 oz hersbrucker

saflager s 23

holding about 54 f.

im patient, but it looks cloudy like a yeast starter. and has cleared at all in a week.

ill post a grav later

I notice that with pilsner malt, I get lots and lots of crazy hot break, and then very clear wort. I'm wondering if you got a good hot break, and if you got good conversion in the mash?

It sounds like either a starch haze ("milky looking") from incomplete conversion, or a heavy protein haze from inadequate hot break.

yooper -

i have found the same also. yes it seems like exaggerated break. and my conversion was great.
the last 3 pilsners are same recipe and malt is all from the same sack.

ill check grav today and what im hoping for is an unlikely low grav (i just dont see it moving from 1.059 to 1.010 in a week, its always taken about 12-14 days)

if this is the case, ill rack to a steel carbouy and put it in the chiller for about 45 days.
if not, and the gravity is still too high for lagering, then ill just set it aside for another week and brew a new batch as a side by side comparison.

Back