Bottle Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deathblooms8788

Reaction score
I have brewed two batches all ready using all grain. When it comes to bottling, I soak them in the sink with a little bleach and hot water, i then rinse and rinse with warm water until I can not smell bleach anymore in bottles. then I turn the upside down and let them dry. Is this safe? Am I doing something wrong? I know it's not technically right, but the beer tastes great and no ones died yet lol any suggestions?? thanks

Use a cleanser to clean them. Oxyclean free or PBW both work great at getting the crud out of bottles without much elbow grease. I wouldn't ever use bleach.

Also, sanitize with iodophor or starsan, works really well.

Oh and my best bottle cleaning tip: rinse and shake the bottle as soon as you pour it, this will help keep that yeast cake from sticking in the bottom.

I put in about 2 gallons of star san solution and shake it up real well, lay it over and roll it around some, then pour it out.

With star san you'll have alot of foam left in the carboy, just rack on top of it anyways. Don't fear the foam!

Back