Use of Pears

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Evening Everyone,
Just a couple of quick questions....

I have a pear tree growing and producing fruit in my yard (just moved into the house this June) and was curious about using the fresh pears in a sour...

The question I have is if I pick the pears now & cut them up or puree them, can I freeze them until use sometime within the next 8 months?

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Chris

I could see pears working really well in a sour (although I've never tried one). I freeze most of the fruit I use, so that should be fine as well (although with pears my instinct would be to juice them and freeze the juice so you don't have to deal with all of that puree when you are racking).

The puree is a real mess when you siphon. It is very fibrous. It will clog up the racking cane and if you bottle, your bottling wand.

I would also encourage you to juice them.

Thanks for the responses...I now have a follow-up question before I prepare the pears or juice for the freezer.

1. Should I juice the pears now and freeze the juice or cut the pears up now and juice the pears when I get ready to add to secondary fermentation?

2. If I juice now, I have seen a couple different ways to juice...one is to run the fruit through a juicer (which I don't have currently) or the other is to cut the fruit up, place in a stock pot with a small amount of water (at least a cup) and bring up to a boil very slowly - once at a boil, boil for 5 minutes, then cool and strain, then freeze. Do you see any issues with the second method?

Thanks again,
Chris

I'd avoid heating if you can (it really doesn't matter how slowly you heat). How about pureeing in a super-clean food processor then straining through cheesecloth?

I simply sliced my pears in the food processor, froze overnight and let stand out, in room temp for about 7 - 8 hours. I added them to the 2nd fermentation bucket. When I bottled, I poured the 2nd fermentation through a strainer, into the bottling bucket.

Latest posts

Back