Is 1.020 to high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deremer

Reaction score
I brewed an Alaskan Amber Clone 15 days ago and the gravity has been siting at 1.020 for the last 7 days. Here is the recipe

8.25 lbs. 2-row
1 lb. Crystal 40L
6 oz. Crystal 90L
11 oz. Crystal 60L

Mashed for 60 minutes at 154 and fell to 153
Fly sparged at 170
60 minute boil then racked to primary after cooling then mixed in Winsor
Ale dry yeast. The fermentation temp has been 67-70 degrees. My target OG was 1.052 and ended up at 1.057. The recipe calls for a FG of 1.012. I gave it a stir a couple of days ago and did nothing. So should I keep waiting, repitch some yeast, or just move along in the process and rack to the secondary.

As I am writing I started to think my hydrometer may be off, but I checked it with water and it read right at 1.000

Ben

What yeast are you using? Your final gravity will typically depend on the yeast attenuation capability, along with what its ABV tolerance is. If the ABV is reaching its tolerance, it will probably be slow to chew up sugars. That is unlikely though as you are sitting at about 4% ABV with a 50% actual attenuation (61% apparent). Most yeast should still chunk away on it, but if you underpitched, you may need to repitch or wait a few more days to see where you are at.

have you checked your thermometer? even if you mashed higher, you should still be under 1.02, but that may be able to explain it

When all else fails do what I have done for many years: Let it sit another couple weeks, the math becomes anecdotal.

i.e. let it do it's thing and then add another couple weeks and you won't have to worry about anything.

I'm thinking that you may need to recalibrate your thermometer. 154F seems a bit high, and will make some unfermentable sugars. If your thermo is off, it could throw you off, causing the FG to read high.

154F isn't THAT high but combined with 20% crystal malts I think 1.020 is not very surprising.

Haven't used Windsor in a long long time, but it's notorious for under-attenuating. As stated before though, that's a lot of crystal.

154F isn't THAT high but combined with 20% crystal malts I think 1.020 is not very surprising.

+1. I agree. The crystals you used are also on the mid to darker side. Darker crystals have less fermentables than light ones such as crystal 15 or carapils. So if you had used the same amount of only carpils, your batch would have fermented drier. Just another aspect to consider.

thank you for the reply gentleman, i think it's off to the secondary to make room for a batch saturday

Back