Priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunden

Reaction score
I am getting ready to bottle on sunday..I lost some of my beer in transfer to secondary( 5 gallon batch), but im not sure how much. I think I lost anywhere from 1/2 gallon to a full gallon. Do you guys think if I just calculate using 4 gallons it will be ok if I was off 1/2 gallon or so?

I would eyeball it and get as good of an estimate as possible, then go with it. Being off by a half gallon or so on your estimate won't make that much of a difference. If you were making this for a competition and wanted to be spot on on carbonating to style, then you might want to figure it out better, but for sticking in a bottle and drinking, a good estimate will be close enough.

I wouldn't worry about it...you just might be a tad higher carbed than if it were 5 gallons, but probably just such an insignificant amount, you won't even really notice.

I would siphon the beer into a bottling bucket that has volume markings on it and then add the appropriate amount of priming sugar for the amount of beer you have (and carbonation level for that particular style etc). Just make sure you stir it well without aeration to mix it in.

I would siphon the beer into a bottling bucket that has volume markings on it and then add the appropriate amount of priming sugar for the amount of beer you have (and carbonation level for that particular style etc). Just make sure you stir it well without aeration to mix it in.
I thought about doing this, but wasnt sure about adding after the transfer...Will this evenly distibute the sugar? If so I belive this is the route I will take.

I thought about doing this, but wasnt sure about adding after the transfer...Will this evenly distibute the sugar? If so I belive this is the route I will take.

Yeah, I've done it that way many times in the past. You just have to make sure and mix it well with a sanitized spoon. Good luck!

Back