Prices going up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
I haven't brewed anything since this past fall. I just ordered some ingredients, and it seemed more expensive than I remember. Have prices been going up on grains and/or hops, or am I imagining things (which highly possible)?

Prices on practically every commodity are going up! Get used to it...we are in the beginning stages of Hyper-Inflation which has destroyed many European economies recently... Don't believe the news. We are NOT in an economic recovery we are only in that lag phase before depression.

Now is the time to stock up!

Relax, have a homebrew. :)

Arrrg. If that's true, I'll be stocking up on everything *but* beer making ingredients. ;)

Arrrg. If that's true, I'll be stocking up on everything *but* beer making ingredients. ;)

I had not bought store bought beer in about 6 months and was shocked last week when I found that the prices of 22oz bottles of Corona, Sam Adams, Guinness, etc was almost $4!!! It was $3.39ish last time I bought beer in large bottles just 5-6 months ago.

The price of beef?! Holy cow! Even sirloin is up to $8.99/lb around here...it was $5.99/lb last year. (I'm glad I have inlaws who raise beef!)

I had not bought store bought beer in about 6 months and was shocked last week when I found that the prices of 22oz bottles of Corona, Sam Adams, Guinness, etc was almost $4!!! It was $3.39ish last time I bought beer in large bottles just 5-6 months ago.

The price of beef?! Holy cow! Even sirloin is up to $8.99/lb around here...it was $5.99/lb last year. (I'm glad I have inlaws who raise beef!)

Damn...beer around here has always been expensive. A six pack of any decent beer (think dogfish head, troegs, etc) is $10.99. A case of yuengling cans is around $19-$20. :(

Last I checked, ground beef (80/20) was no cheaper than $3.49 a pound, and only getting worse from there depending on the store. Definitely sucks.

I wouldn't be so bitter about the (bad government policy induced) inflation if I had been given a raise in the past 5 years...2007 was my last raise and this year as you well know FICA withholding on payroll taxes went up and everyone is now making 2% less than last year. It's a real buzz kill and no wonder the economy can't recover. Everyone is spending much less on commodities, shopping at lower cost stores (Chinese products), driving less, taking less or no vacations...

I hate to be pessimistic about it but I simply cannot see things getting better so why kid yourself?

Damn...beer around here has always been expensive. A six pack of any decent beer (think dogfish head, troegs, etc) is $10.99. A case of yuengling cans is around $19-$20. :(

Last I checked, ground beef (80/20) was no cheaper than $3.49 a pound, and only getting worse from there depending on the store. Definitely sucks.

And I'm upset having to pay $3.99 for NY Strip bone in! Honestly, if I have to pay more than .50 cents a pound for chicken leg quarters I'm getting screwed.

And I'm upset having to pay $3.99 for NY Strip bone in! Honestly, if I have to pay more than .50 cents a pound for chicken leg quarters I'm getting screwed.

Is this because you are in TX or because you buy directly from a processing center?

Those are some awesome prices. Wish I could get that!

More than likely because I live in TX. If I were to buy from a processing center I'd probably only pork. Even though we have cattle, we send 'em up through the auction and buy meat through the supermarket. I suppose a man could butcher if he had to, then you're only looking at cost of corn and hay.

Inflation is generally good if you have a lot of debt. Pay off debt with cheaper, devalued, dollars.

Back