Group Buy in Chicago #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neopol said:
Best price I found was online from Costco, 12 pack of 6 gallon buckets and gamma lids was $129 + shipping, they dont always have them. Recommended if you keep grain in a changing humidity enviro. (basement/garage)

That pretty much works out to the same price I paid at HD last week.

We should just throw on a few extra bucks for everyone that is splitting for HD buckets you can always use more buckets.

For anyone concerned that their splits may not fill, I'm waiting until the last day to see if there's anything near closing I can help out with. I was checking splits daily but realized if I kept that up, more splits would happen and more grain would be coming back to my lab than I have places to store it. :)

For those of you contemplating Jack Daniel barrels, here's what I received regarding shipping to my place:

Yes home brewers can get Jack Daniel Barrels. The approximate shipping cost for one barrel with no special shipping constraints is approximately $120.

I asked and am still awaiting an answer whether it's cheaper to have barrels shipped to the warehouse. I'm thinking it's not since the barrels are coming straight from the JD distillery and not the warehouse but hopefully they will get back to me with an answer.

EDIT: They will not ship to their own warehouse. So a JD barrel is $215.00 with shipping.

For those of you contemplating Jack Daniel barrels, here's what I received regarding shipping to my place:

Yes home brewers can get Jack Daniel Barrels. The approximate shipping cost for one barrel with no special shipping constraints is approximately $120.

I asked and am still awaiting an answer whether it's cheaper to have barrels shipped to the warehouse. I'm thinking it's not since the barrels are coming straight from the JD distillery and not the warehouse but hopefully they will get back to me with an answer.

EDIT: They will not ship to their own warehouse. So a JD barrel is $215.00 with shipping.

Well that kinda kills the deal... :(

Bill,

Do you know if the shipping costs would come down if more barrels were shipped to your warehouses?

My thinking is that 4 barrels would stack and shrink wrap on one pallet. Most commercial trucking companies will price out their load by either weight or floor space occupied. It might be worth asking the next time you speak with the distributor.

I am interested in a barrel. Thanks!

Mark

Bill,

Do you know if the shipping costs would come down if more barrels were shipped to your warehouses?

My thinking is that 4 barrels would stack and shrink wrap on one pallet. Most commercial trucking companies will price out their load by either weight or floor space occupied. It might be worth asking the next time you speak with the distributor.

I am interested in a barrel. Thanks!

Mark

Good point,
and if this is the case I am still interested as well if we can split a $120 /pallet delivery cost 4-5 directions. But at $215 ea it will wait.

I emailed them again asking if the $120 shipping charge is per barrel or shipment/pallet. Waiting to hear back. They could probably stack 5 barrels on the lower level then 4 on top I'm thinking.

it's a good thing that you guys order like crazy and our group buys are respectable. Otherwise they probably wouldn't bother with our excessive questions. :)

Here is their reply when asked about shipping four barrels:

Bill,

To ship 4 barrels, the shipping is $243.91. They would ship with UPS Freight. They ship directly from the vendor when the barrels are empty.

Just a small devil's advocate, but if you are looking for an authentic "Bourbon Barrel" taste (that I associate with a large vanillin quality, but overall not overpowering in boozy-ness) then I wouldn't look for JD barrels.

I'll have to dig through my stash to make sure I have some left (that I'm willing to part with!) but if I can make it to the split day, we can do a side-by-side of whiskey barrel (JD) vs. Bourbon (Buffalo Trace). Completely different base styles, but the JD is boozy while the BT is vanilla heaven.

Devil's advocate mode off: both beers have scored very well.

I don't know who put up the split of Vienna - Bairds Malt, but I'd be interested in 10/11 lbs of it if you want to relist the item. Maybe someone will pick up the other part...

Each barrel is then about ~$160 shipped if we have enough interest for 4 barrels. I'd be willing to go in on 1/3 of a barrel where 3 people brew up 20 gallons, enough to fill and top off as necessary. Anybody else interested in splitting a barrel this way?

it's a good thing that you guys order like crazy and our group buys are respectable. Otherwise they probably wouldn't bother with our excessive questions. :)

Bill,

To ship 4 barrels, the shipping is $243.91. They would ship with UPS Freight. They ship directly from the vendor when the barrels are empty.

Bill,

At the above shipping costs of $243.91 spread across 4 barrels, count me in as ordering one barrel. Thanks again for checking back with them on the shipping costs.

Mark

Bill,

At the above shipping costs of $243.91 spread across 4 barrels, count me in as ordering one barrel. Thanks again for checking back with them on the shipping costs.

Mark

who's picking up the other 3 barrels?

So would that be around $ 150 per barrel shipped if we get 4?

Bill,

If we can fill the order for 4 units I would also like one, I have visions of a big RIS I want to fill that badboy with, I apologize for being such a question asking PIA.

Great deal wish I had the room....you can buy one and ill help fill it

Cheese I have room and am looking to split a barrel between 3 or 4 people. I'm located in Rogers Park if you want to split the costs and brew up 15-20 gallons of something. We would only need another person or two to help.

Who is keeping track of the barrels?

Bill, I will track it.

So far we are at (3) Three confirmed and GothicHorror was one of the first to respond after initiating the question, so he should get first call on that last one before filling the first skid of 4. Not to say they won't put a 5th on a skid.

Who has the Vienna/Bairds with a 2 split? If you want to make it a 4 split and take 2 for yourself, i'll take one of them leaving only 1 available. I don't need 22 1/2 lbs...

Bill, I will track it.

So far we are at (3) Three confirmed and GothicHorror was one of the first to respond after initiating the question, so he should get first call on that last one before filling the first skid of 4. Not to say they won't put a 5th on a skid.

Dave, these are coming via UPS so I don't know if they will be on a pallet or individually loose. However, we can try adding more than 4 and if the shipping costs per barrel increase more than what we have been quoted then we can drop back down to 4 barrels. Or if it's cheaper to ship more than the barrel unit price drops.

These buys are getting crazy!

Dave, these are coming via UPS so I don't know if they will be on a pallet or individually loose. However, we can try adding more than 4 and if the shipping costs per barrel increase more than what we have been quoted then we can drop back down to 4 barrels. Or if it's cheaper to ship more than the barrel unit price drops.

These buys are getting crazy!

Crazy good..

I say lets get as many as people want, I'm only thinking its fair to look at it as first inquiry gets first right of refusal to fill a skid (4-5) and there are always the last minute back-outs.

This is what I have in order of responses from post 149 forward
C=Confirmed U=Not Confirmed
Neopol (C),
Gothic Horror (C),
TBU (U-Split?),
Mark(427Cobra)(C),
Cheesecake (U)

If I am in err or missed you please speak up. I went back to post 149 to current prior to knowing pricing/shipping.

Crazy good..

I say lets get as many as people want, I'm only thinking its fair to look at it as first inquiry gets first right of refusal to fill a skid (4-5) and there are always the last minute back-outs.

This is what I have in order of responses from post 149 forward
C=Confirmed U=Not Confirmed
Neopol (C),
Gothic Horror (U),
TBU (U-Split?),
Mark(427Cobra)(C),
Adriedel(C)

If I am in err or missed you please speak up. I went back to post 149 to current prior to knowing pricing/shipping.

That looks good, just need 2 people to split a barrel with me.

I am still interested in the barrel. I would like to do a Belgian Tripel, similar to an allagash curieux. I would offer it up for a group brew or try to manage brewing 50+ gallons 6 gallons at a time, it's doable, right...

As I mentioned before I am interested in a barrel. I will be splitting this with fellow brewers to make a Bourbon Imperial Stout. Already brewed 10 gallons of Imperial Stout this past Saturday. Plan is to brew multiple times over the next month and transfer finished beer into corny kegs until we have accumulated all 50 plus gallons. Sample each batch to insure good quality control. Then fill barrel all at one time leaving minimum head space while purging out oxygen with some CO2. Let sit for maybe eight months and enjoy a nice holiday beer next Thanksgiving. Won't care at all if it gets cold outside with this nice Winter warmer in hand :)

Neopol said:
Those are what I ordered last except $60 more expensive, The Doomsday Preppers must have gone mad. and mine did not come with mylar pouches, just 6 gallon buckets, lids and oxy-sorb packets.

Yes and way more expensive than HD right now unless the Mylar bags are really worth it

I am still interested in the barrel. I would like to do a Belgian Tripel, similar to an allagash curieux. I would offer it up for a group brew or try to manage brewing 50+ gallons 6 gallons at a time, it's doable, right...

GH I'd take you up on helping fill that barrel. Are you looking at this recipe for the Allagash clone? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/allagash-curieux-clone-322356/

If so I'll need to add a sack of Franco-Belges Pils to my order. I can do 20 gallons, maybe 25 if I spring for another carboy. I've already got 5ish gallons brewing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back