Can I boil 3 gals, then another 3 gals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
Hi, I do not have the capacity to boil 6 gals, so could I halve all the ingredients (malt extract brew), boil for an hour, strain and cool, add ALL the yeast, then repeat the process. It double the time for a brew, but I am retired, and would rather brew than watch daytime TV.

Yes you can just cut everything in half, or you could make a more concentrated boil (3gallons all the extract and hops) and add water to the fermentor. You would loose some bittering extraction from the hops.

Yes you can just cut everything in half, or you could make a more concentrated boil (3gallons all the extract and hops) and add water to the fermentor. You would loose some bittering extraction from the hops.

this would be the way to go. just do a partial boil and add some extra hops to account for the poor utilization, then top off with clean, sanitized water. boiled then cooled water or bottled water would work fine.

I do it all the time now - boil partial batches at the same time.

What you are doing Palmer in a podcasts says to boil 1/2 batch and pitch the yeast and you can boil the 2nd half the next day and then just add it to the original. Never tried it though.

Back