Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatsOnTap

Reaction score
I've got an Irish Stout bubbling like crazy right now and I'm thinking of throwing in a pot of strong joe in the secondary to give it a good coffee or espresso flavor... Can anybody help get me going in the right direction? Thanks!

When I made mine several years ago I bought beans... crushed them and seeped them like grain. Worked out great..... not sure about tossing a pot in the secondary though...

WhatsOnTap said:
I've got an Irish Stout bubbling like crazy right now and I'm thinking of throwing in a pot of strong joe in the secondary to give it a good coffee or espresso flavor... Can anybody help get me going in the right direction? Thanks!
The recipe for Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout in Sep '05 BYO calls for 3 oz. coffee, brewed and tossed into the secondary.

We cold brewed ours and put it in the secondary. It's still bottle conditioning, but when we bottled the sample tasted great.

I just made a chocolate espresso stout. The recipe was the 'chocolate jitters' recipe from BYO that called for 20oz (?!) of brewed coffee, but 4 oz./shots of espresso was about right for me. The way I did it was to add the espresso at kegging time to taste. I think I would lean towards adding it at bottling/kegging as you can control how much flavor you add, but adding some beans to the secondary would be interesting, as well.

Back