Could i use a 1/4 for 5 gallon batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF you're talking about making a keggle from a 1/4bbl keg, then I wouldn't. For one thing having enough in there for a full batch boil is going to be super tight. The bare minimum kettle size I would advise, for 5 gallon batches, is 8 gallons. Even that can be damned tight.

1/4 BBL is 7.75 gallons? I did full boils in a 6.5 gallon pot for months and didn't have a problem.

Don't see why not. I'd be nervous of it tipping over, though ...

What??? A short pony (1/4 bbl keg) would be even less prone to tipping over than a 1/2 bbl keg (same diameter, less height)...

While you COULD use it for moderate OG 5 gallon batches, you'll need something larger if you want to have more than an hour boil. Such as needing to reduce for a larger OG batch to get your normal volume (assuming 5.5-6 gallons into primary so that you get 5 gallons out).

Personally, for me to insure I have 6 gallons to go into keg, I put 6.75 gallons into primary. With the normal loss levels, such as to the bottom of the keggle (about .5-1 quart), hoses between things, and the plate chiller, I stop with about 7.5 gallons at the end of the boil. I start my moderate OG batches with about 8.75-9 gallons for 60 minute boils. Even reducing that to end up with 5.5-5.75 gallons into primary, I'd still hit/exceed the capacity of a 1/4 bbl keggle.

BTW, you can [easily] use a 1/2 bbl keggle for ~5 gallon batches. IMO, it's better to have more head space than less. Especially when you're going to the boil. Even using fermcap-s you can be too close to the edge at boil start.

-edit-
Sure, edit your post to make it sound more reality based. :p [j/k]

I wouldn't waste a tall 1/4 bbl keg on a keggle. It's far better as a fermenter. :D :rockin:

And even more better as a....wait for it..............a keg! tall 1/4's are an excellent size for serving IMO:mug:

Bah!! I'm not set up to serve from sanke kegs, just ball lock kegs. Besides, I'm using 3 gallon kegs (hence my batches produce 6 gallons of finished beer) which I can fit four of into my brew fridge. Maybe, when I've moved, and build up another brew fridge/keezer, I'll have the option of also pulling from sanke kegs. Until then, I'll be very happy to ferment in the tall 1/4 kegs.

What??? A short pony (1/4 bbl keg) would be even less prone to tipping over than a 1/2 bbl keg (same diameter, less height)...

While you COULD use it for moderate OG 5 gallon batches, you'll need something larger if you want to have more than an hour boil. Such as needing to reduce for a larger OG batch to get your normal volume (assuming 5.5-6 gallons into primary so that you get 5 gallons out).

Personally, for me to insure I have 6 gallons to go into keg, I put 6.75 gallons into primary. With the normal loss levels, such as to the bottom of the keggle (about .5-1 quart), hoses between things, and the plate chiller, I stop with about 7.5 gallons at the end of the boil. I start my moderate OG batches with about 8.75-9 gallons for 60 minute boils. Even reducing that to end up with 5.5-5.75 gallons into primary, I'd still hit/exceed the capacity of a 1/4 bbl keggle.

BTW, you can [easily] use a 1/2 bbl keggle for ~5 gallon batches. IMO, it's better to have more head space than less. Especially when you're going to the boil. Even using fermcap-s you can be too close to the edge at boil start.

-edit-
Sure, edit your post to make it sound more reality based. :p [j/k]

I wouldn't waste a tall 1/4 bbl keg on a keggle. It's far better as a fermenter. :D :rockin:

Hahaha ... You caught me; damn you're quick ... I edited my post about ten seconds after posting, once I remembered there's two types of 1/4 kegs ... Short kegs, no problems; tall kegs, good luck!

Hahaha ... You caught me; damn you're quick ... I edited my post about ten seconds after posting, once I remembered there's two types of 1/4 kegs ... Short kegs, no problems; tall kegs, good luck!

Yeah, the short ones are far more common it seems... Or at least, more commonly available to us. I have three tall/slim 1/4 bbl keg fermenters right now and am always looking for more.

I try not to fill my fermenters beyond 7 gallons, so that there's enough head space in them. Even with fermcap in the boil (and carrying over to the fermentation) it can be sticky. I had one that needed a blow-off tube that the cap was just nasty after. Luckily, my fermentation caps are stainless steel (TC caps) so they cleanup pretty easily. I just don't like leaving a mess in my brew-buddy's basement.

Latest posts

Back