Frankenbrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiseman

Reaction score
So, a friend of mine and I, while bottling a batch of stout, got to talking about how anything with sugar could be made into beer. So we came up with the following recipie:

14 Liters Coca Cola (water up to 5 gallons)
20 oz of snickers bars
3lbs dry malt extract (amber)
2oz east kent goldings/chinook hops
Safale s04 yeast.

We know this is blasphemy for the purist brewing conventions, but we can't resist trying to put it together.

Anyone ever tried anything like this before? Or anything nearly as bonkers?

....and dear God, what if it works?

Do not waste hops, yeast, and extract on that. You will beat yourself up later for it.

I've tried something similar to this before, you'll regret it. I'd be better to just use everything except the cola and snickers and make a 'meh' beer.

sounds...interesting. what would the final outcome of your vision be best desribed as? forgive me, for I am druk....:tank:

Hmmm... Jail house beer rerevisited. You should pitch bread yeast too just for kicks and giggles. But really the cola has way to much acid for the yeast to be happy and they will $#!T all over themselves trying to get out of it. Also there is so much oil in the candy bar to do any good in the finish brew. You might want to try this on a smaller scale, say 1 gallon or so just to get an idea. Fermented sugar you will have, Beer..... Not so much

I thought this was going to be about the Frankenberry wheat talked about on BBR that used a box of cereal in the mash.

Maybe just throw a box of coco-puffs and use some medium caramel malt. That'd cover all the flavors of the coke and candy bars and it might actually be drinkable.

I know that goes against the spirit of your idea, but if you just want ti ferment a bunch of sugar for the sake of it, make mead.

That sounds disgusting, and I'm not being elitist.

Before you ferment Coca Cola, you should watch this video of someone who tried to make wine out of it:

-Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I think It's a great idea, but you will want to use at least 6 oz. of hops.

That sounds disgusting, and I'm not being elitist.

Before you ferment Coca Cola, you should watch this video of someone who tried to make wine out of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_GYyRK6kyU

-Steve

That guy's an idiot though. He tried to neutralize the acid with baking soda. baking soda + acid = Salt.

In response to the gentleman suggesting 6 ounces of hops, I didn't want to cover the flavors of the cola or candy all that much. The way I see it, this can go two ways: Either it'll be "OMFG It tastes like snickers and coke!" or "ew"

I've got a Mr. Beer laying around, maybe I should just use that as a test bed.

definitely use the mr. beer, if it works out, great and you can make all the pop/candy bar beer you want, but at least if it's nasty, you only have a mr. beer's worth of nasty, not 5 gallons.

no_style_guide.jpg

Yeah, I'm with the people that think this is a bad idea.

But hey, it's your time and money, so go for it and be sure to report back. If you don't, I'm going to have to assume it was ass. :cross:

Just do it.

You knew the responses toward this were going to be negative!

If you are serious about this, go for it, but disassemble the "unusual" ingredients into the constituents and add only those that are reasonable in a beer.

For instance, instead of the coke, use a cola extract. Then add phosphoric acid after fermentation to get the desired "bite".

Instead of the snickers bars, use cacao nibs or a cacao powder, a little powdered peanut butter and a dark caramel malt to get the toffee/caramel flavors you are looking for.

However, I'd personally go with a cola-flavored mead and a separate chocolate-peanut butter brown ale instead.

He's just doing it to be wacky, guys. We all looked, so congrats. Have fun wasting your extract on something that will just not be good.

Oh, and just to be less of a dick, make sure you decarb that cola first.

Do it. Do it. Do it. People have brought up good points about how this can be a disaster, sure, but for the sake of knowing for yourself whether or not this will be a ****fest of a beverage, you have to do it!

Also, for further soda-into-beer concepts, see the following: BYO: Mountain Brew

Is it really being elitist to suggest to someone that something might not be a good idea?

The correct answer is "Do whatever the hell you want to do!!!" After all, it's your money not ours. But if you don't want our opinions, then keep these kinds of "experiments" to yourself.

I guess HFCS will ferment, but looking at the corn industry's page on it, they advocate HFCS in bread because it leads to a sweeter flavor. Assuming your beer yeast will eat this sludge, it's probably going to taste something like an incredibly bitter mouthful of sugar.

I say go for it. Have a video camera ready, because I want to see the youtube video of you chugging your first bottle of oily, super sweet, super bitter "beer" and projectile vomiting on each other.

Do it. Pretty obvious the YouTube video is fake (do you really think he'd take the time to change the camera angles as he was running to throw up?) If it's totally gross I want to know though...

I have done this. I'm telling the OP you need a MINIMUM of 6 oz of hops. It's best to use more. Do 4oz of chinook and 4oz tomahawk @60, then do the same @10. AWESOME!

Back