Is this a crazy idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schneemann

Reaction score
Working on my brew stand, I'm looking for ways to do all of my fluid transfer from HLT to MLT, MLT to kettle, etc.

I have an idea that, instead of standard hoses, I'd use aluminum fuel line, bend it up and look all sexxy.

I can't imagine any good reason why this wouldn't work. What do others think?

It's not a crazy idea, and it will definitely work, but hoses are much more replaceable than hard lines. At some point you'll want to clean in your hard plumbing and that'll be a PITA. Aluminum is a really good conductor, and you may also have some heat loss.

If you could weld/solder it, that aluminum might make a great IC.

Also you couldn't touch it like you would a plastic line, so you'd have to steer clear of it during brewing

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it. Just boil it first or bake it in the oven so it oxidizes nicely. Then you can polish it up on the outside if you want.

Wait a minute, really it's 25 ft for $28? And the OD is 5/8"? Damn, that's cheaper than copper for making an IC, for damn sure!

It doesn't bend as easily as copper I think. I would think it would work pretty good for transferring liquids. You could rig up some quick connects...

Back