Homebrewer from MD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daydrew

Reaction score
Hey guys I live outside of Baltimore.

My buddy got me into the craft brews and shortly after I was teaching him how to make his own! Glad to be on the forums, and I appreciate all the help all of you have already provided me!

Cheers! :mug:

Yeah man Im a a mile or two from winters run golf coarse. If you dont mind me asking, where do you get your homebrew supplies?

I get most of mine from Maryland Homebrew - MDHB. My yeast, grains, and a bunch of equipment anyway, and sometimes hops here and there. I tend to buy in bulk to reduce costs, they have good prices on sacks of base malt, the yeast is fresh and they have a great selection. Plus last week I hit my >$1000 lifetime sales and now I permanently get 10% off everything. The staff there is great too, very helpful and friendly.

Pretty much the only thing I don't buy a lot of from there is hops - I tend to like pelletized hops by the pound and usually I can get good deals online. But they have good prices on leaf hops by the pound - I recently bought a pound of Centennial and a pound of Simcoe.

Stop by, and afterwards go around the corner to the Frisco Tap House, you won't be disappointed.

Yeah man Im a a mile or two from winters run golf coarse. If you dont mind me asking, where do you get your homebrew supplies?

Howdy neighbor! I'm in Brentwood Park. I buy my base grains in the MD/DC group buy and my hops from Hops Direct (by the pound) or BrewMasters Warehouse (by the half pound).

Other, miscellaneous things I get from Tom at the Thirsty Brewer, or MD Homebrew in Columbia (I work in Laurel, so they are both pretty convenient)

haha sweet! I do the same, yeah im across the street from you on grafton shop, been going to toms place for about 3 years.

Been to MDHB, The Guys there got me started until I discovered The thirsty brewer, which I had been passing on the way to school everyday

It's a Maryland party! I live in Silver Spring. I just went to MDHB on thursday to pick up my first brewing kit. Nice store!

It is, and good luck with your first batch, it makes for a fun day. Let us know how it turns out

First go at it was lots of fun. It's happily bubbling away in my primary. Gonna transfer it to my secondary in a few days. Debating whether or not to dry hop it. It's an American Amber, so I'm not sure if dry hopping is in line with that style. I love the aroma of hops, which is why I'd want to dry hop it.

First go at it was lots of fun. It's happily bubbling away in my primary. Gonna transfer it to my secondary in a few days. Debating whether or not to dry hop it. It's an American Amber, so I'm not sure if dry hopping is in line with that style. I love the aroma of hops, which is why I'd want to dry hop it.
i understand your desire to be done with it as quickly as possible, but don't rush your beer outta primary. it will be done when you have 3 straight days of steady gravity readings - this doesn't correspond to a set number of days. could take 4 days, could take 24. i could launch into the debate about not needing to go to secondary at all, but i'll spare you :D

as for dry-hopping an amber, i say go for it. personally, i don't think one needs to stick to the rules about categories all the time (unless you're going to enter this into a competition). that's the great thing about homebrewing, you can do as you please and tweak any recipe to your liking. if you like it hoppy, make it hoppy!

Stop by, and afterwards go around the corner to the Frisco Tap House, you won't be disappointed.

There is also this taco truck (hey... it says tacos on the side of it) like two exits before Broken Land Parkway, on Fri, Sat, and Sun.

They don't sell tacos, but they do have a massive smoker on the back of their truck and they make really delicious carne asada, chicken, and beef short ribs.

It's the Route 1 exit toward Elkton? Elkridge? Elk-something off of 32.

image-2830313550.jpg

Back